Question After removing bad RAM, two drives disappeared, Chrome constantly crashes, and PC takes forever to POST ?

AARRGGHHH

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
When I turned my computer on yesterday afternoon, it wouldn’t boot. Constant BSODs, “memory_management” error.
I ran a diagnostic and removed a defective RAM chip.

Now, two hard drives don’t show up, even in the bios. POST takes an eternity. And Chrome crashes within minutes.

I don’t understand why removing defective memory and eliminating BSODs would cause a bunch of new problems. I’m nowhere near maxing out the remaining memory, so that is not an issue.

Dell Inspiron 560 with major upgrades (CPU, RAM, GPU, SSD, eSATA Adapter) none of which are recent (about 3 years ago).

Thank you

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Upgrades: Make, model, version etc.?

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age (3 years?), condition.

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full?

What RAM diagnostic software was used to determine that the RAM chip was defective?

My first thought is that the PSU is aging and starting to falter and fail. Especially if the PSU has been heavily used for gaming.

Another thing that could have happened is that some connection was bumped loose when the RAM chip was removed.

= = = =

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify by sight and feel that all cards, connectors, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

Also be aware that some motherboards require that the first physically installed RAM chip be installed in a specific RAM slot. Check the motherboard's User Guide/Manual.