Question After repaste, CPU temps are better but GPU temps are worse ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

le721

Reputable
Oct 29, 2019
Hi, I have an Acer Predator Helios 300 G3-572-75L9 with 24GB of Ram, i7-7700HQ and GTX 1060
A few days ago I failed to disassemble the heatsink due to some stripped screws so I decided to pay a technician to replace the screws, clean the laptop and apply the thermal paste.

I came back home and decided to test if the job was well done. Now, while gaming CPU temps have decreased from 88~95ºC to 75~85ºC which is very good, the GPU temps have got worse, from 79~84ºC to 85~88ºC after just a few minutes of gameplay.

3 months ago the GPU would rarely go above 80ºC with fans at maximum and sometimes even at auto so I don't know what is happening. Is there any chance this could be an Windows issue?

I already undervolted both the CPU and GPU with ThrottleStop and MSI Afterburner Curve

I have 2 undervolts on MSI Afterburner, one is a straight line starting from 800mv with 1759mhz which decreases temps by about 5ºC but also lose some fps, the other is a straight line starting from 850mv with 1822mhz which reduces temps compared to default and without performance loss but still reaches 88ºC, could these undervolts have ruined my GPU somehow ?

Games I tried are Fallout 4, Nioh and Hitman 2, all reach 87ºC on the GPU in less than 15 minutes even with fans at Maximum (6122 RPM). Before the repaste they would still get hot but around 83ºC and CPU around 94ºC, but again, CPU decreased nicely but GPU is still pretty bad.

Idle temps are between 50~60ºC for CPU and GPU, with fans between 2500~3000 RPM

I don't know what else to do to deal with those temps. Current temps where I live are around 25ºC. I heard that thermal paste needs some time before working 100%, so should I wait a few days before doing something inside the laptop?

Hi, I have an Acer Predator Helios 300 G3-572-75L9 with 24GB of Ram, i7-7700HQ and GTX 1060
A few days ago I failed to disassemble the heatsink due to some stripped screws so I decided to pay a technician to replace the screws, clean the laptop and apply the thermal paste.

I came back home and decided to test if the job was well done. Now, while gaming CPU temps have decreased from 88~95ºC to 75~85ºC which is very good, the GPU temps have got worse, from 79~84ºC to 85~88ºC after just a few minutes of gameplay.

3 months ago the GPU would rarely go above 80ºC with fans at maximum and sometimes even at auto so I don't know what is happening. Is there any chance this could be an Windows issue?

I already undervolted both the CPU and GPU with ThrottleStop and MSI Afterburner Curve

I have 2 undervolts on MSI Afterburner, one is a straight line starting from 800mv with 1759mhz which decreases temps by about 5ºC but also lose some fps, the other is a straight line starting from 850mv with 1822mhz which reduces temps compared to default and without performance loss but still reaches 88ºC, could these undervolts have ruined my GPU somehow ?

Games I tried are Fallout 4, Nioh and Hitman 2, all reach 87ºC on the GPU in less than 15 minutes even with fans at Maximum (6122 RPM). Before the repaste they would still get hot but around 83ºC and CPU around 94ºC, but again, CPU decreased nicely but GPU is still pretty bad.

Idle temps are between 50~60ºC for CPU and GPU, with fans between 2500~3000 RPM

I don't know what else to do to deal with those temps. Current temps where I live are around 25ºC. I heard that thermal paste needs some time before working 100%, so should I wait a few days before doing something inside the laptop?
you might want to totally clean the fans and the heatfins from dust if it didn't yet, then re apply it with a good lasting paste like gelid gc extreme, arctic mx4 and mx5. also replacing the thermal pads could help, and make sure the screw that attaches to the cpu and gpu are tight enough.

Reactions: le721

le721

Reputable
Oct 29, 2019
you might want to totally clean the fans and the heatfins from dust if it didn't yet, then re apply it with a good lasting paste like gelid gc extreme, arctic mx4 and mx5. also replacing the thermal pads could help, and make sure the screw that attaches to the cpu and gpu are tight enough.

You were right, look how much dust I found:
6k5T3bG.jpg

So I cleaned it up, repasted with the paste I have here (Rise Silver Frost 5g 7,5 W/mk) and temps are great now, idle lowered about 10ºC both CPU and GPU, and while gaming both GPU and CPU are rarely reaching 70ºC with fans at max. Results are much better than I expected, only thing I noticed is that my fans are not reaching 6122 RPM anymore, but I guess this is because it detects the temperature is not so high, right ?

This is how I applied the thermal paste:
ONCVvSI.jpg

Do you think it's ok? It's the first time I repaste a laptop, no problems so far (2 hours using laptop)

And this how the technician applied, I don't think he used a good paste:
aXVoCds.jpg

Thermal pads seemed ok, so I didn't touch them

ANY time you lift a heatsink you must replace the thermal compound and ALL thermal pads. When you reinstall the heatsink over the old paste and pads you will introduce air bubbles that inhibit the transfer of heat.

So I cleaned it up, repasted with the paste I have here (Rise Silver Frost 5g 7,5 W/mk) and temps are great now, idle lowered about 10ºC both CPU and GPU, and while gaming both GPU and CPU are rarely reaching 70ºC with fans at max. Results are much better than I expected, only thing I noticed is that my fans are not reaching 6122 RPM anymore, but I guess this is because it detects the temperature is not so high, right ?
everything's correct :D, once you clean the fans and intake and exit , your heat will be dissipated very better, then your thermal pase will be useful to keep conducting heat, and those fans will blew it right away, even my sister's laptop went silent, cleaned her fans and exit from dusts, replaced the paste with mx4, and it performs real great, almost no heat on the surface on daily use, even the fans are really low compared to before (my father bought a used asus amd a8 laptop, it was hot, decided to take care of it, it performed better0.

And this how the technician applied, I don't think he used a good paste:
both of them should be correct when being applied under pressure, you already give a perfect ammount for both. the thing is as the heatpipe touches the gpu and cpu chips, and everything's allinged, screw the heatsink tightly so the paste wont run anywhere, giving aminimum airbubbles, and give maximum spread :D.

Reactions: le721

le721

Reputable
Oct 29, 2019
ANY time you lift a heatsink you must replace the thermal compound and ALL thermal pads. When you reinstall the heatsink over the old paste and pads you will introduce air bubbles that inhibit the transfer of heat.

I know I can't just keep the applied thermal paste after lifiting it, but I did replace the thermal paste just not the thermal pads, I will let that for later, right know everything seems fine, I have the laptop for almost 2 years and never seem such good temps before

everything's correct :D, once you clean the fans and intake and exit , your heat will be dissipated very better, then your thermal pase will be useful to keep conducting heat, and those fans will blew it right away, even my sister's laptop went silent, cleaned her fans and exit from dusts, replaced the paste with mx4, and it performs real great, almost no heat on the surface on daily use, even the fans are really low compared to before (my father bought a used asus amd a8 laptop, it was hot, decided to take care of it, it performed better0.

both of them should be correct when being applied under pressure, you already give a perfect ammount for both. the thing is as the heatpipe touches the gpu and cpu chips, and everything's allinged, screw the heatsink tightly so the paste wont run anywhere, giving aminimum airbubbles, and give maximum spread :D.

Nice, I am really glad everything is correct and working fine. I made sure to tighten the screws and also was very careful.
Btw my room temperature is around 27ºC which makes the results even better since even when in cold weather the laptop was overheating really fast

Reactions: Koekieezz
Status
Not open for further replies.