Question After replacing everything pc won’t post

ID10TError404

Reputable
Dec 16, 2015
So I’m having a real head scratcher of an issue here guys and gals.

About a month ago I received all of the parts for my new PC build. As is tradition, I assembled the build very carefully outside of the case. On the first go, the PC won’t even post. The lights are on, the fans spin, and no debug leds are on.

As is tradition, I take everything apart and reassemble it just to be sure it was not human error. Same thing happens. I start moving ram around, and I actually get the thing to post and even boot into the BIOS with ram in slot 4!

At this point, even in the bios, something feels very wrong. When I create my XMP profile for the ram the pc tries to restart and save. When it attempts to restart it immediately hangs completely frozen and will not power off until unplugged. This behavior continues throughout my story. For no reason will the PC reset, even using the reset button or windows 10 restart.

After some pondering I decide to move forward the best I can, wondering if perhaps installing updated bios or drivers may somehow revitalize my trust in the stability of the system. This is not my fist build and I have even brought some IT friends over to look at it. All of us are stumped.

I manage to install windows, drivers, and updates etc...each time unplugging the system to restart (yes I know this not optimal). I use the PC for three hours monitoring all temps and the temps are well under 40 Celsius. The next morning....dead pc again. I have lights, fans, and everything appears normal expect the cpu debug is on.

Three weeks have passed I have reseated the cpu nine times, bought a whole new cpu, new psu, new ram, new motherboard, and now have a second complete system. Same issue. I have checked ram comparability for both the processor and motherboard. I have a perfect amount of thermal paste. I have spoken with every manufacturer and am in the process of RMAing everything.

I will post all specs when I get home, as I am at work....but here’s some basic Info:

intel i5 10600k
MSI Unify z490
Super Flower 1000w full modular PSU
Both 4266 speed ram and 2666 (tried both)
Breadboxed

ID10TError404

Reputable
Dec 16, 2015
Thanks Flayed. I have to admit that thought had crossed my mind. I am an audio engineer/musician and the pc room is filled to the teeth with a recording setup/speakers. All of my other devices do not seem to have any electrical issues.

Thanks Flayed. I have to admit that thought had crossed my mind. I am an audio engineer/musician and the pc room is filled to the teeth with a recording setup/speakers. All of my other devices do not seem to have any electrical issues.
I wonder what the odds are of buying two components with exactly the same fault? Extremely unlikely I guess. Anyway good luck, I hope you get to the bottom of it.

ID10TError404

Reputable
Dec 16, 2015
Thanks Frayed! You can only imagine the look on my face after the second build failed to post haha. I’ll post more information and pics when I get home, in case anyone else wants to get in on this sweet troubleshooting action.

ID10TError404

Reputable
Dec 16, 2015
Ram: gskill 4266 ddr4
Ram: Oloy 2666
Second motherboard: gigabyte Aurus Elite
Heatsink#1: Cooler Master hyper 212 rgb
Heatsink#2: Stock POS intel that came w i5
Processor: i5 10600k
Processor#2: i5 10400k

update: Spoke with Newegg and have started RMA process. I have reached out to Intel and they advised “It would be very rare to have two defective processors” but after explaining they set up a ticket and will RMA through them if needed. Waiting to hear back from MSI.

I am going to speak with MSI tech support tomorrow and see if I can get anything working. I’m going to keep trying to figure out the source of this one.....maybe it could help anyone else out there with similar issues 😑