Question After replacing water cooler My computer turned off after a few minutes of use and now won’t boot up again

Aug 20, 2022
Based on what problems my computer had I think it’s done but It’s worth trying to fix.
So yesterday I replaced the water pump on the computer, I’m very new to doing anything with hardware so I just followed a tutorial. After a few hours of normal use every thing freezes on the screen, i power the computer off and whenever I try to hit the power button it will turn on for a varying amount of time between 0.5 and 10 seconds before I can hear a faint clicking noise and it powers off. What is very strange is that after I unplugged the Rgb sata connected the computers lights will stay on for longer(still slightly carried in time) and after they turn off they turn back on again on their own in an endless loop(but still no boot or nothing on the display) again I’m very new to hardware but I think this is very concerning and probably a short cercuit.

here are what I think the possible causes are but please correct me if you disagree
1)the thermal paste I re applied into the cpu and caused a short cercuit, (tm30 paste which after googling it says it’s none conductive, can none conductive still break things?)
2)I stupidly forgot to put washers in the 4 screws that hold the water pump to the mother board, I put the washers in after and tried booting but it didn’t help
3)I’m pretty sure I plugged the rgb into the wrong Sata port, although while the computer was on the lights still worked

I wish even if it’s destroyed i at least know what causes it, thanks in advanced.

Aug 20, 2022
Sorry! I've lost my crystal ball... Would you be so kind to state your full system specs?
The motherboard says b360m ib-r1
There’s a sticker that says intel i7 9th gen
The water cooler is an aura flow 360 with 3 fans
The graphics card is a GeForce rts(I don’t think that’s important)
Oh also when I put the washers on I noticed some of the thermal paste was on the side in the little crack of the cpu
Sorry if the spec information is bad I’m really not that into hardware, I had to replace the water cooler because my computer was reaching temps of over 100. I just read you the labels of what it says on my computer tell me if you need more specific info I can try to find it

ötzi

Proper
Apr 2, 2022
Did you tighten the screws all the way when you installed it without the washers? Socket 1151 can have some problems when too much pressure is applied from the CPU cooler. Did you inspect the CPU and socket?

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2022
Did you tighten the screws all the way when you installed it without the washers? Socket 1151 did have some problems when too much pressure was applied from the CPU cooler. Did you inspect the CPU and socket?
I looked for signs of burning and such but honestly I wouldn’t really know what to look for, but yeah you are right I think I applied to much pressure when I put it on without the washer, what I find odd though is that it worked for about 2 or so hours. I tightened the screws all the way which is too much pressure because the washers were supposed to give more space, if I crushed the cpu is it repairable or is it cheaper to buy a new one?

ötzi

Proper
Apr 2, 2022
You can take the CPU out and look if the silicon is bend.

What might also be possible is that there is a problem with the PSU, can you supply us with the make and model of your PSU, and if you know, the age?

2)I stupidly forgot to put washers in the 4 screws that hold the water pump to the mother board, I put the washers in after and tried booting but it didn’t help
Probably damaged traces on motherboard by doing this.
Remove cooler and inspect motherboard carefully.
Make photos, show here.
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

If traces are damaged, you'll have to replace motherboard.

Here - example with some minor damage:
15790201065306349266788659526324.thumb.jpg.83406707d02f0ee519daae3029ba7e98.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2022
You can take the CPU out and look if the silicon is bend.

What might also be possible is that there is a problem with the PSU, can you supply us with the make and model of your PSU, and if you know, the age?
I tried getting into it to look at the psu but it’s all blocked off and I don’t want to mess with it, it’s about 4 years old
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/qesqjt/fyi_too_much_cpu_mounting_pressure_with_aio_or/

I found a Reddit thread with almost the exact same problem as me it when I loosened and even took off the cooler it didn’t help.

Aug 20, 2022
Probably damaged traces on motherboard by doing this.
Remove cooler and inspect motherboard carefully.
Make photos, show here.
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

If traces are damaged, you'll have to replace motherboard.

Here - example with some minor damage:
15790201065306349266788659526324.thumb.jpg.83406707d02f0ee519daae3029ba7e98.jpg
View: https://i.imgur.com/cG7tB4G.jpg

You can’t really see anything but from what I can tell the tracers go around where the screws would go in,I do think you are right though it probably had something to do with that.