[SOLVED] After short time period, pc will start rebooting constantly

Nov 15, 2020
Hi, I’ve been setting up a new system over the past week and having set everything up I’m having an issue where after the system being on for a short time, it will begin to rapidly turn off and turn back on again. This usually happens after between5-20 minutes of turning it on, but once it starts rebooting it will only have power for about a second before turning off again. When it does lose power, all lights in the system turn off.

The parts in the build are:
  • ROG Strix X570-F motherboard
  • Ryzen 3700X
  • HyperX TridentZ RGB 8GB x 4
  • Corsair HX750 PSU
  • Corsair H150i RGB Pro XT
  • Radeon rx 570 Armor 4G OC GPU
  • Kingston 256GB SSD and SanDisk 2TB SSD

All parts are brand new other than the GPU and the Kingston SSD which were being used in my previous setup.
I’ve done everything I can think of to work out where the problem is. I’ve tested with my old PSU and the same thing happens. I’ve tested my GPU in my old setup and it works fine. I’ve checked temperature sensors but nothing is out of the ordinary. I’ve tried reinstalling Windows, resetting the CPU, using one SSD at a time. Pretty much pulled it apart and put it back together several times with no luck.

My worry is that one of the new parts is faulty, but I don’t have spare parts to test them all individually.
Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Solution
sounds very strange are you on the latest bios for your motherboard and have ryzen cpu drivers installed to give you the ryzen power profile have you tried the asus armoury crate software. whocrashed might give you some idea has helped me previously
just a few thoughts.
sounds very strange are you on the latest bios for your motherboard and have ryzen cpu drivers installed to give you the ryzen power profile have you tried the asus armoury crate software. whocrashed might give you some idea has helped me previously
just a few thoughts.

Solution
Nov 14, 2020
I've had a similar problem with my old setup, PC begun to restart itself after my GPU got overheated, cleaning it fixed the problem. When you are saying that temperatures are not out of the ordinary, what temperatures are you talking about?

Nov 15, 2020
just a few thoughts.

Thanks for your reply.

The bios has been updated to the most recent version and as per your suggestion I've now installed the ryzen drivers manually. Asus armoury was also installed and I've done all the updates it suggests, yet unfortunately the issue persists. Although now it has taken to just turning off completely as opposed to attempting to reboot endlessly.

I also tried whocrashed but unfortunately there are no crash logs so it wasn't able to help.

Nov 15, 2020
I've had a similar problem with my old setup, PC begun to restart itself after my GPU got overheated, cleaning it fixed the problem. When you are saying that temperatures are not out of the ordinary, what temperatures are you talking about?

Thanks for your reply.

I've now cleaned the GPU as you suggested, however the issue is still occurring. The GPU works fine in my old setup so I'm not sure it's related to that but I agree that it looks like a temperature issue given the information.

In regards to temperatures. I've been looking at the motherboard, cpu and gpu, all of which have been happily between 30-50 degrees C at the time of crashing, and they are all still cool enough to touch when it shuts down so it doesn't appear that they are overheating, or even that there is a faulty sensor.

Nov 15, 2020
Try resetting the bios if you have overclocked. Update bios if new version is available

Thanks for your reply.

I've updated the bios to the newest version and all the settings are set to the defaults, I haven't messed around with any of them. If you still think it's worth resetting the bios I'm happy to try.

If you still have the PSU from your old set up, I would switch it to the new PC and see what happens.
I know that you have a brand new PSU (Corsair HX750 ) but a PC switching off constantly is likely a hardware problem. You say that the temps are good, so insufficient electrical power to one or several parts is a real possibility.

Nov 15, 2020
If you still have the PSU from your old set up, I would switch it to the new PC and see what happens.
I know that you have a brand new PSU (Corsair HX750 ) but a PC switching off constantly is likely a hardware problem. You say that the temps are good, so insufficient electrical power to one or several parts is a real possibility.

Thanks for your reply.

I did try this and the same problem happened. My old psu is only 550w so I don't know if that could be the issue there. Although it most of the time when I'm testing it I leave it idle, so I wouldn't expect high power usage unless one of the parts is randomly demanding a lot of power at the time it shuts down.

Thanks for your reply.

I did try this and the same problem happened. My old psu is only 550w so I don't know if that could be the issue there. Although it most of the time when I'm testing it I leave it idle, so I wouldn't expect high power usage unless one of the parts is randomly demanding a lot of power at the time it shuts down.
According the BeQuiet! power calculator, your maximum wattage requirement with your new setup is 286 W, so even your 550w PSU, it should be good
https://www.bequiet.com/en/psucalculator/quick