After Shutdown, LED and Fans stays on, holding power button does nothing

Oct 10, 2018
Components(every component listed is just 5~6 months old)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus Z370 Ultra gaming 2.0(rev1.0)
Processor: 8th gen Core i7-8700(non-k version)
PSU: Corsair CX650M
Ram: corsair vengeance 8GB DDR4 2400 Mhz C16 - single stick
Storage: Samsung 960 Evo 250GB NVMe M.2
Case: Corsair Carbide Spec3
GPU: Onboard intel graphics only
Power: Clean power - APC UPS 1100VA
Two system case fans and I don't OC nor do I run multiple applications at the same time... at most, I'd run Guildwars2 MMORPG but I hardly suspect that's an issue

Scenario1
When I use my PC for less than ~ 30 mins: Everything is fine... turns on properly, shutsdown properly(with windows start->poweroff and the case powerbutton), restarts properly, i can play MMORPG games properly... no lags and no issues everything is perfect

Scenario2
If I use the PC for more than ~ 30 minswithout shutting it down, there are no issues with the operation and I can play games, Browse the internet, watch movies, listen music... no issues, no BSOD, no freeze, no hungups, but when I decide to turn off my PC, the OS shuts down and monitor switches off but the fans and LEDS won't go off. waited for 5 whole minutes... it won't power down... pressing the case power button does nothing... press and hold the power button for 10 seconds does nothing either... Hard power off by pulling the plug is the only way... If I try to power on the PC, the fans and LEDs will start and stop like some kinda morse code signal but won't bootup(no beep)... keeping the PC disconnected from power source... after that, my PC won't POST properly and boot until the next day... the next day this repeats... at this point i'm scared to poweron my PC suspecting some component might go bad beyond repair

Last event that I did before encountering these issues
Updating the Intel graphics drivers(with game booster presets for fortnite, wow,...) with the intel driver assistant software(approximately sep3 2018)

Troubleshooting Performed
1) Updated motherboard chipset drivers followed by intel vga drivers from gigabyte website w..r.t the motherboard
2) Removed and reseated all components connected to Mobo
3) Checked the startup apps(if any) which might be controlling mobo - found nothing there
4) Reset Bios settings to optimized defaults
5) Checked the Ram Frequency in bios settings - no issues there
6) CMOS battery seems fine - date time settings - system clock shows the correct time and bios settings are saved and retained after poweroff - poweron
7) RMA'd the motherboard to Gigabyte(still under warranty) and they reported there are no issues found and the mobo is perfectly functional (though I suspect that... coz the issue is replicated only after ~30mins of usage... I mentioned that explicitly while RMA'ing it)
8) Suspected PSU might allow only power on and not power off when using the case power button - but power on and power off works perfectly when using the case power button when PC usage is less than ~30 mins
9) WakeonLAN, WakeonMouse, WakeonKeyboard is not set

Steps not yet done
Removing the CMOS battery - I'll try this and reset CMOS but I hardly doubt this'd fix the issue
Reflashing the BIOS - since PC operation is perfect within 30 mins, i doubt this'll help. MOBO has the latest BIOS F4... but I'll try this if I'm desperate
Reinstalling Win10 - case powerbutton overrides the OS and the fact that it doesn't POST after hard shutdown, i hardly doubt that OS could be a culprit
MemTest for RAM - heard it'd take more than 6 hrs... and the fact that my PC works perfectly before shutting it down, decided to reduce this step's priority
Haven't checked if the PSU fan is functional

Is there some kind of component that has a possibility of misbehaving after some time of usage(may be due to heat)
Some guy explained in a thread that there's a chip in mobo that controlls the case powerbutton to PSU connection and that could be an issue... but the power button functions properly if usage is less than ~30 mins

Is this due to static electricity? if it is, why not show those symptoms when using it less than ~30 mins

Is it coz of keyboard and mouse shorting something out in the board? if so, how do I confirm?

All these years, I've never encountered or heard of this issue... Plzzzz someone, lead me in the right path... I don't have a spare PSU to test with... If I have to replicate the issue, I need to use the PC for ~30 mins else I can't convince Gigabyte service guys and they'll conclude there's nothing wrong with the board and they'll simply return it to me

Hope this doesn't drag onnn until the warranty expires

Solution
if you can rma the mb theough the vendor tell them the mb has bad vrm or a bad trace. it sounds like there a broken trace that seals when the mb or part gets warm.
Oct 10, 2018

BIOS all wakeon settings disabled... as i mentioned in the post
Advanced powerplan settings -> idk what to check there... but power button set to off... power plan set as balanced... i haven't changed those settings since Win10 installation

Trickle charging off USB port -> yes my mobile phone... I often tether internet connection via FPUSB with my mobile phone... but I used to connect my phone always and this issue didn't popup before... and less than ~30 mins usage didn't trigger the issue even with my mobile connected to the Front panel USB... I checked my PC once in the vendor's place before RMA'ing the MOBO without the mobile phone connection in USB and it ended up with the same issue

I would never hibernate my PC ever... and nor does any buttons assigned to hibernation... I'll try disabling the hibernation feature and check it out BUTTTTT as i mentioned it on my post, after shutdown, My PC won't even POST and monitor won't receive any signal.... LEDS and fans will turn on and off like morse code signals...
does it have anything to do with UEFI and Win10 blocking the POST??? I'm running out of possible checkpoints :/

Thanks for the replies

Yes there is. The power supply has two reset functions for excess heat and for a fault. Run the system for an hour or so. Then do a hard boot by shutting the system down with Windows, turn the power switch off at the PSU, press the power button and hold for about 10 seconds, and then unplug the power supply.

Then wait for a minuter or two, and then take the system side off. Place your hand near or on the power supply (don't burn yourself) and check if it is hot. A functioning power supply shouldn't be hot. If it gets too hot, the power supply will shut off until it cools down.

The next two heat related problems are similar. As the CPU or GPU temperature approaches it's upper temperature limit, the power to the processor will be throttled back. The CPU and GPU temperature can be monitored. And the cooling can be adjusted to compensate.

No, static electricity can certainly damage the motherboard, but in that event it would most likely not boot up. It like power surges can damage just a portion of the motherboard in which case that portion of the motherboard can become faulty.

I don't follow the part about the shorted keyboard. Did something happen?

After updating the BIOS, if the problem persists do a fresh install of the operating system.

Apparently you have updated the drivers (there are some that you didn't mention).

After that it will be a mater of troubleshooting hardware. Do you have a case speaker? Here is an example . I would get one they are cheap.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812201032&cm_re=case_speaker-_-12-201-032-_-Product

You mentioned an LED diagnostic display (I think). Any error codes or LED's?

Oct 10, 2018

I'll check the PSU temperature following your steps and update here when i get back home...

if temperature is the issue, it should've powered down during operation when used for more than an hour but it didn't
and also if PSU won't turn on due to high temps, why did it give power to Fans and LEDs and they start and stop like morse codes...
same goes for Processor and GPU... I don't have a dedicated GPU... It's an integrated intel 630 UHD graphics or something

I'll check the PSU temps as you mentioned...

Thanks for replying

Oct 10, 2018

If mobo is damaged, Gigabyte service should've definitely found that out during their testing process right? or they skipped a few testing procedures? idk i wonder:??: and why does it boot and function perfectly after day of unplugged cooldown?

there's nothing wrong with the keyboard... I remember reading a thread where a guy suggested that components in Keyboard and Mouse might short out the power button and shutdown chip in the mobo

Oct 10, 2018

at present, MY BIOS is F4... but I'll try to reflash it... hope this helps

Oct 10, 2018

I used a intel support driver updating software from intel website and updated the intel vga drivers and game optimization booster presets update from intel - this is before the issue

I updated the mobo chipset drivers and intel vga drivers from gigabyte website only after this issue

the diagnostic LEDs in mobo is no use... it's often misleading... totally unreliable... The LEDs I mentioned was the RGB LEDs and Fan LEDs and Fans that blink and turn when i switch on the system after a hard shutdown after an hour usage... meaning, PSU supplies power to these components but the POST is not successful

I'll get the Diagnostic LEDs position from mobo and update here... but that might mislead us most of the time... but i'll post it

Not necessarily, the power supply has to get pretty hot before shutting down. If the PSU fan is blocked or otherwise partially functional, then it can complicate things . The BIOS update may fix some of the odd behavior of the motherboard.

Also while I'm thinking of it. I would check the front panel connections.

Oct 10, 2018

This time, it didn't POST at all... so i disconnected the ATX connector, front panel connectors and jumpers and reconnected them and it turned on... but within 20 minutes of usage, it turned off suddenly... then i couldn't get it back to working condition at all...

Checked the PSU temps it was normal... i couldn't feel any heat on PSU unit...
Checked the front panel connectors... removed them and connected them in their motherboard pins

when i managed to get the PC to POST, entered bios and used the QFlash feature to reflash the bios... it gave me two options... 1)quick and 2)intact... I tried the second option... it took just less than 10 seconds to flash the bios... idk if it did flash the bios... then after 20 mins of usage, the PC powered down abruptly... then it didn't POST at all...

when I looked at the Diagnostic LEDs on the motherboard, it pointed out the CPU is at fault... then after a few seconds it off-on again and pointed out that VGA is at fault... then off-on again and pointed CPU is at fault then repeated the off-on and pointed the CPU everytime... The thing is i don't have a dedicated GPU and yet my motherboard pointed out VGA is at fault... this is the reason why I don't look at those diagnostic LEDs

Hope my motherboard stays this way when gigabyte service checks the motherboard... else, they'll once again give it back to me saying that the board is fine and they won't even bother running tests on it...:(

i would also rma your power supply. the issue of not turning off can be the efi bios locking up. i had that issue on my asus mb. when a mb turns on and off all it doing is a digital switch signal to the power supply to turn on and off. if the power supply has issue the pc can stay on when asked to shut down.

Unplugging the PC essentially performs a hard boot. It clears the applications loaded with Windows for instance. Plus it allows all of the components to cool down.

I have no idea how well Gigabit checked out the motherboard.

When it fails to boot up, clear the CMOS. That's probably the quickest solution.

Since the diagnostic indicated a CPU error and a GPU error, I would remove the graphics card for now. Use the integrated graphics and the video outputs on the motherboard.

I would remove the processor. Check it and the socket for any bent pins and any thermal paste (or any other apparent damage). If it is OK, then reinstall the CPU & cooler. Then boot it up again, and pay attention to the LED Diagnostic (write down any error codes).

Was there any improvement without the GPU and resetting the CPU?

Oct 10, 2018

sorry for the delayed post... Only y'day did I get my replacement PSU from corsair(they delayed it for almost a month)... got a new CX650M and still the same issue..

My PC works and if I try to restart the PC, OS shuts down properly and then it just loops restarting without passing POST... the fans spin for 5 seconds and then powers of for a second and then spin for 5 seconds and repeats it forever... nothing happens if i press the power button... only option is to use the hard poweroff by switching off the UPS or using the PSU switch at the back of the case

Is it possible that my motherboard gone bad?
Is it possible that processor can work for half an hour and then malfunction after restart?
Will faulty RAM exhibit this kind of behavior?

Will a drained CMOS battery cause this?(coz previously i used to turnoff the plug after shutdown and the CMOS battery might've drained)

Oct 10, 2018

I got only one RAM stick... I'll try it with a different one then... XMP settings switched off from the beginning... its a corsair vengeance LPX ddr4 8GB 2400Mhz c16 memory(cmk8gx4m1a2400c16)

speaking of intel cpu test, the link https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool didn't list my processor(8th gen core i7 8700) is ther eany other intel official cpu test tool, link plz

if you think "mb cant set the ram speed at power on" why does it POST and BOOT properly after 2~3 hrs of cooldown? it was working perfectly just 3 months back without any issue I've been battling this issue ever since

thanks for the reply

When you power up the system now, does it still go into a restart loop? If it is try clearing the CMOS again. Hopefully that will get you past POST. You have had a CPU error before, and a CPU problem can cause a restart lop like that.

It has been a while, did you remove the CPU check for bent pins or thermal paste in the pins?

Oct 10, 2018

Y'day I did a memx86 test on the ram and it reported no errors and it passed. ran the test twice (one and a half hours) with no fails...

during the test, it didn't shutdown or malfunction in anyway... but when I restarted the machine, it passed POST once and then instead of booting the OS, it restarted by itself and then it didn't pass POST and keeps repeating the loop...

Oct 10, 2018

I'll check the CPU pins today...
But y'day my PC didn't malfunction during one and half hours of operation when I ran MemtestX86 and only when I restart it, did my PC goes into the restart loop... as far as i understand, if one of the cpu pins are bent, it won't even POST, much less operate for an hour without any issue

the problem is I couldn't reliably reproduce the issue unless I keep my PC switched on for more than ~30 mins... this gets me in awkward situation when I would get my board,cpu,ram to the service centers, It'd run just fine and it wont go into restart loop even if i restart it multiple times... the next time I'll make sure it runs for atleast 30mins in service centre before restarting it...