[SOLVED] After significant hardware changes i have bad ping and internet speed compared to original pc build.

Apr 14, 2021
HELP.

I recently upgraded my pc with a new motherboard, case, CPU, and I added some PSU extension cables.

I upgraded from a ryzen 3 3200g to a ryzen 7 3700x and an asrock b450mpro4 to an msi b550 gaming edge. I also have 16gb of corsair vengeance RAM.

I also transferred windows 10 onto my new build from my old build by simply moving my SSD over. I also uninstalled any drivers before making the new build.

The issue is that my ping and internet speed is terrible compared to my original pc. I went from getting 150mb/s to 30mb/s download speed and 9-25ms to around 90ms with dramatic ping spikes. In addition, my pc regularly disconnects from the internet, leaving me to restart the router and my pc.

I'm pretty sure that I have all of the correct drivers installed for my motherboard and CPU.

It makes me really mad that my brand new build that I spent months saving up for is almost unusable and I just want to play games with my friends again.

Any help is appreciated.

Solution
Yup, re-using an old install on what is effectively a whole new system is highly likely to cause all sorts of weird issues. Unless you are an OS guru with in-depth knowledge in everything that may get broken by a platform swap, it is easier to re-install than troubleshoot.

USAFRet

Titan
I recently upgraded my pc with a new motherboard, case, CPU, and I added some PSU extension cables.
I also transferred windows 10 onto my new build from my old build by simply moving my SSD over. I also uninstalled any drivers before making the new build.

USAFRet

Titan
I reactivated windows with my activation code
Activation is only half the issue.

A Windows install is not as modular as we'd all like.
When presented with a new motherboard, weird things happen.

3 possibilities:
  1. It works just fine
  2. It fails completely
  3. it "works", but you're chasing issues for weeks

You're in #3.
You can continue to chase those issues, or you can bite the bullet and do a fresh install.

Apr 14, 2021
Activation is only half the issue.

A Windows install is not as modular as we'd all like.
When presented with a new motherboard, weird things happen.

3 possibilities:
  1. It works just fine
  2. It fails completely
  3. it "works", but you're chasing issues for weeks
You're in #3.
You can continue to chase those issues, or you can bite the bullet and do a fresh install.
I’ll do some more research and if nothing comes up then I’ll redo my install of windows properly. Also, what sort of issues might you be talking about - what are some common ones? Thank you so much for your help.

USAFRet

Titan
I’ll do some more research and if nothing comes up then I’ll redo my install of windows properly. Also, what sort of issues might you be talking about - what are some common ones? Thank you so much for your help.
Issues? Anything and everything.
Framerate, file corruption on saving, temps, oops it just crashed....literally anything.

There is no specific common issue that might present. Some may not manifest or be noticed until way later.

We'd ALL like it not to be like that. But, a Windows install is NOT modular.

Apr 14, 2021
Issues? Anything and everything.
Framerate, file corruption on saving, temps, oops it just crashed....literally anything.

There is no specific common issue that might present. Some may not manifest or be noticed until way later.

We'd ALL like it not to be like that. But, a Windows install is NOT modular.
Ok, thank you

InvalidError

Titan
Yup, re-using an old install on what is effectively a whole new system is highly likely to cause all sorts of weird issues. Unless you are an OS guru with in-depth knowledge in everything that may get broken by a platform swap, it is easier to re-install than troubleshoot.

Solution

KroolYouTube

Honorable
Jul 26, 2016
I think people have this horrible idea of a fresh windows install. I know it's a little time consuming but I do it often presented with issues I cannot fix myself especially when it comes to issues such as internet speeds, certain performance issues or driver's that just wont work with me.
I don't now what you use your PC for, but I personally use Steam for almost every game I play. I have very few downloaded files and stuff that I would lose, most of which are software that I can just download again within a few minutes.
Obviously for someone like a video editor with lots of files and settings, fresh installs are a little bit more of a hassle. But if you're a casual gamer, that doesn't mod every <Mod Edit> game in existence, or don't have 500 different custom files for your PC, I think a fresh install will be worth the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 14, 2021
UPDATE:

I have done a fresh install of windows, like you recommended but nothing has changed. I'm pretty sure there's just something wrong with my motherboard.