After switching on PC, montior stays blank for a few seconds until windows loads

talalhashimkt

Commendable
Jul 31, 2018
When I switch on my PC, my monitor stays blank for a few seconds, and then Windows starts loading. Usually when I switch on the PC, the HP logo appears and at the bottom there's "Press F10 for BIOS" or something.

Here are the specs of my PC (using a software called Speccy): https://i.imgur.com/e42xNCx.png

A while ago I tried to plug in an internal wifi adapter and I must have hit a part on the motherboard, because that's when this problem started. That's why I put the category of this thread to 'Motherboard'.

There were also some other effects after that day:

• 1. The time shown on Windows was wrong (but I went to the settings and fixed it).
    2. 'Sleep' option sometimes disappears. Right now it's there though.
    3. Sometimes the cursor would disappear, but I found out that Windows thought that I had two monitors and the cursor kept jumping off to the other one. I've fixed that now by changing the setting to "Show only on display No. 2" . But when I looked at the settings now to write this thread, the second monitor has disappeared.
But it seems that all those effects have fixed themselves.

talalhashimkt

Commendable
Jul 31, 2018

I pressed all the F buttons and now the monitor is staying off. My guess is that I've accessed the BIOS but the monitor won't switch on until Windows has loaded.

If you are correct, the BIOS may just need a refresh. This motherboard is a design from very late 1998/early 1999. It may be on life support. The problem is, no bios screen. Catch 22 kinda thing.
Do the monitor On Screen controls work ? Can you try another monitor ? It may be the power supply as well. Funky stuff.

talalhashimkt

Commendable
Jul 31, 2018

what do you mean by monitor on screen controls? I don't have another monitor but I'm planning to give my PC to a service centre.

RBuczynski

Reputable
Apr 4, 2016
That is most likely an error. Do you have motherboard/chipset drivers installed? Most likely when you don't have them, system does not recognise correctly (or doesn't do that at all), what the model of mb is, which seems to be the case now. Socket 0 is, in other name, lga 1150.