[SOLVED] After Update Crash and Image Restore - NO sleep or hibernation

Braverman

Prominent
Jul 26, 2019
If this is in the wrong forum PLEASE move it.
I'll try to make this brief:
Dell XPS13 9333, and I've had nothing but trouble with it since I bought it 4 months ago. Put a 1tb drive in it, and partitioned it roughly 250gb and 650gb.
There is a post about the WiFi seldom waking up after sleep, well that go fixed when "something" (unknown) trashed the system. I pulled out a month old Acronis 2020 image and restored it (just to the partition, not the "drive). The WiFi problem was gone afterwards - I dunno, it's a computer ... BUT THE IMAGE WAS PERFECT - remember this.
Windows Update 2-3 days ago TOTALLY trashed the system so that I could not boot it in any manner, so I went back to that image.
Restore went dandy, but NOW it will not sleep or hibernate. When it tries to do either, the screen blanks the keyboard backlight does not UNTIL the system gives up and shuts down.
I have put 2 other images on this and they all act the same.
I gone through the BIOS and nothing changed (not much TO change) but this seems to be the "Ghost in The Machine".
ANY IDEAS?
I've gone through EVERYTHING and nothing has changed.

Solution
Sucessful restoration of an Image returns the system back to the software state it was when that Image was created.

If there is/was a hardware issue, it can't fix that.

Braverman

Prominent
Jul 26, 2019
Thanks for replying!
I realize the way I read your reply, wasn't the way you intended it ... and I hope this doesn't come out wrong:
I've been creating and restoring images for 20 years and ... I would HOPE that one would realize that if the image is of a malfunctioning system, that when restored, that is what you're gonna get.
The image was was - and is - perfect. the OP stated that I had tried 3 different images and did so JUST for that reason.
As it turns out, when Win10 crashed during it's update, it wrote something to the HD that kept screwing the system up. I tried a Win10 repair, for naught, then deleted all 4 partitions (saving my 650Gb one) and re-installed Win10 from scratch. Barebones everything worked (as expected).
Restored the image from above and all works just as it should, maybe the Wi-Fi is giving me problems, but we'll see.
SO in a way you were right, it was a hardware problem - of sorts ...

Last edited: