Question After updating windows 10 i have lost internet connection

wildernes35

Reputable
Feb 9, 2016
When I performed an update to the new windows 10 update that needs to be completed for before nov 2019 I have now got no internet connection.When performing the trouble shooting tool it is either showing Ethernet doesn't have a valid IP configuration or Cannot connect to the DNS server.

I have tried performing a network reset

Re setting the TCP and IP settings flushing the dns when doing ipconfig /renew it shows it timed out as it cannot connect to the DHCP server

Flushing the dns and re registering

Uninstalling the network drivers and restarting my machine to re install them

Updating network drivers

Cannot restore to previous point as i had not realised my drives were not protected to not creating restore points

Also tried disabling the AV and doing a lot of the fixes same issue.

Restarting router and changing Ethernet cable did not help either.

I've probably missed some fixes I have tried but i am stumped any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
What is the network card in your machine? That would be a good starting point.

If you would like to give potential assistants a more complete picture, then a Speccy Snapshot would be nice:
--------------------
Using Piriform’s Speccy to Collect Your Computer’s Hardware & Software Specifications & Report Them to an Assistant

1. Go to the Piriform Speccy Download Page and download the program.

2. Run the installer you’ve just downloaded or unzip the ZIP file if you prefer to use the portable version.

a. If you choose to run the installer - Note: The Speccy free installer may now come with Avast and the Google Chrome browser bundled with it (or something else, what’s bundled has changed over time). Make sure that you UNCHECK the options to install any bundled software when you see the checkboxes during the Speccy install sequence. When you reach the end, uncheck the View Release Notes checkbox, then activate the Run Speccy button.

b. If you go with the portable version just fire up Speccy from the unzipped folder location.

Regardless of which method you choose, you will be presented the Speccy Main Window:

main.jpg

3. From the File Menu, activate the “Publish Snapshot” item [or press ALT+F,B]:

file_publishsnapshot.jpg

4. You will now be presented with the Publish Snapshot Dialog:

publish_snapshot_dialog.jpg

You will, of course, activate the Yes button.

5. Finally, you will be presented with the Snapshot URL Dialog:

snapshot_url_dialog.jpg

on which you will activate the Copy to Clipboard button so that you will have the snapshot web address to paste into your message.

Note: If you want to save your system specs to a text file, at step 3 choose the Save as Text File option at step 3. This can be handy if you need to e-mail your specs.

wildernes35

Reputable
Feb 9, 2016
What is the network card in your machine? That would be a good starting point.

If you would like to give potential assistants a more complete picture, then a Speccy Snapshot would be nice:
--------------------
Using Piriform’s Speccy to Collect Your Computer’s Hardware & Software Specifications & Report Them to an Assistant

1. Go to the Piriform Speccy Download Page and download the program.

2. Run the installer you’ve just downloaded or unzip the ZIP file if you prefer to use the portable version.

a. If you choose to run the installer - Note: The Speccy free installer may now come with Avast and the Google Chrome browser bundled with it (or something else, what’s bundled has changed over time). Make sure that you UNCHECK the options to install any bundled software when you see the checkboxes during the Speccy install sequence. When you reach the end, uncheck the View Release Notes checkbox, then activate the Run Speccy button.

b. If you go with the portable version just fire up Speccy from the unzipped folder location.

Regardless of which method you choose, you will be presented the Speccy Main Window:

main.jpg

3. From the File Menu, activate the “Publish Snapshot” item [or press ALT+F,B]:

file_publishsnapshot.jpg

4. You will now be presented with the Publish Snapshot Dialog:

publish_snapshot_dialog.jpg

You will, of course, activate the Yes button.

5. Finally, you will be presented with the Snapshot URL Dialog:

snapshot_url_dialog.jpg

on which you will activate the Copy to Clipboard button so that you will have the snapshot web address to paste into your message.

Note: If you want to save your system specs to a text file, at step 3 choose the Save as Text File option at step 3. This can be handy if you need to e-mail your specs.

Here is a snapshot luckily i already had Speccy as not internet makes it hard to download and just copied snapshot to usb and published on a working pc

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/mLSne5j5D6rCdbtVeoJfq3H

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
Just for clarity, are we talking WiFi or wired here, as your WiFi is not enabled.

I can tell you that Intel has been pushing out updates for drivers under Windows 10 for virtually everything they make for several years now. I just got an update for WiFi/Bluetooth on this laptop last week.

I strongly suggest that those who have Windows 10 and who also have Intel components download and install the Intel Driver & Support Assistant, and allow it to remain active in the background. Intel doesn't seem to be handing these updates out to either computer OEMs or Microsoft at nearly the speed they're releasing them.

wildernes35

Reputable
Feb 9, 2016
Just for clarity, are we talking WiFi or wired here, as your WiFi is not enabled.

I can tell you that Intel has been pushing out updates for drivers under Windows 10 for virtually everything they make for several years now. I just got an update for WiFi/Bluetooth on this laptop last week.

I strongly suggest that those who have Windows 10 and who also have Intel components download and install the Intel Driver & Support Assistant, and allow it to remain active in the background. Intel doesn't seem to be handing these updates out to either computer OEMs or Microsoft at nearly the speed they're releasing them.

This is on wired I have no wifi capabilities and it was working just before the win 10 update

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
I still stand by my advice with regard to the Intel Driver & Support Assistant.

Download it and let it scan your system and install the updates it finds are needed. At least then we can eliminate one variable (and perhaps the problem).

wildernes35

Reputable
Feb 9, 2016
I still stand by my advice with regard to the Intel Driver & Support Assistant.

Download it and let it scan your system and install the updates it finds are needed. At least then we can eliminate one variable (and perhaps the problem).

As i thought it requires internet to run so will not work even though I installed it

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
I get that this is a kind of "chicken and egg" situation, but do you have WiFi available and, if so, can you snag a USB WiFi adapter to use to get through this stage?

You could also look at Intel's driver and software catalog on another machine for the card you have and download the installer package on a USB drive. This would avoid the need for internet at the early stages altogether.

wildernes35

Reputable
Feb 9, 2016
I get that this is a kind of "chicken and egg" situation, but do you have WiFi available and, if so, can you snag a USB WiFi adapter to use to get through this stage?

You could also look at Intel's driver and software catalog on another machine for the card you have and download the installer package on a USB drive. This would avoid the need for internet at the early stages altogether.
I have now bought a USB WiFi dongle but i get he same problem where it connects to the network but i have no internet access

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
You need to check on your modem-router to see if, somehow, the feature that only allows defined MAC addresses to connect to the internet is somehow turned on. If it is, either turn it off or enter the MAC Address(es) for the WiFi cards.

I can't understand at any level why you'd be able to connect to your router but have no internet access if other devices are not being blocked but this machine is. That's the only reason I'm guessing it could be a MAC address blocking feature.

wildernes35

Reputable
Feb 9, 2016
You need to check on your modem-router to see if, somehow, the feature that only allows defined MAC addresses to connect to the internet is somehow turned on. If it is, either turn it off or enter the MAC Address(es) for the WiFi cards.

I can't understand at any level why you'd be able to connect to your router but have no internet access if other devices are not being blocked but this machine is. That's the only reason I'm guessing it could be a MAC address blocking feature.
Possibly but i used it completely fine was skyping friends then windows asked to do this big update came back and suddenly no internet

wildernes35

Reputable
Feb 9, 2016

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
Just because I think it bears repeating here, mostly for future readers:
----------------------------------------
Before going any further, it must be noted that a repair install (or feature update, when those are being done) allows one to keep all of one's files and apps (desktop/installed and store varieties). This is in complete contrast to a Reset (which allows either keeping just one’s files or wiping everything), or a Refresh or Completely Clean Reinstall, both of which wipe everything.

My standard advice, in virtually all cases, (and presuming any potential infection has already been addressed, first) is trying the following, in the order specified. If the issue is fixed by option one then there's no need to go further. Stop whenever your issue is fixed:

1. Using SFC (System File Checker) and DISM (Deployment Imaging Servicing and Management) to Repair Windows 8 & 10

2. Doing a Windows 10 Repair Install or Feature Update Using the Windows 10 ISO file

3. Doing a completely clean reinstall:

a) Completely Clean Win10 (Re)install Using MCT to Download Win10 ISO File

b) Completely Clean Win10 (Re)install Using MCT to Create a Bootable USB Drive

I never choose the “thermonuclear option”, the completely clean reinstall, until it's clear that this is the only viable option. I hate having to go through all the work of reconfiguring a machine from scratch if that can reasonably and safely be avoided.

Ideally, one will have taken a full system image backup from which one could restore were disaster to strike. You should be taking full system image backups and separate user data backups for any computer as a matter of standard practice.