After Upgrading, all my programs require Admin Privileges?

Reciever80

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2012
Note: I believe this issue applies with setting UAC in windows 8 to "Never Notify." As a result, anytime a box would normally 'pop up,' asking to give a program temporary admin control, it never shows up and never gives that permission. I find that feature extremely annoying and counter-productive to quick, efficient computing and so I disable that immediately on all my personal windows installations (you may differ, so be it).

After upgrading from Win7 to Win 8.1 Preview, Almost every program that accesses data on my D:\ Drive (not the OS drive) has issues accessing data, and will only function normally when I run the program as administrator. This goes for anything from Steam, to notepad++, to my internet browsers when I attempt to save files. I never had this issue before, and I've been messing around with permissions with no luck (also tried unchecking "read only").

I've already disabled UAC and SmartScreen, and while my computer is much less antagonizing, it still hasn't fixed the problem.

I'm the only user on my computer, if that means anything, and thanks for any help. I've tried Googling and so far it's saying for me to set each program as "run as administrator" and I really don't think I need to go through that hassle when it worked before.

SOLUTION:

It turns out I had to do a large scale ownership change of my entire D: Drive (my storage drive, not the one with Windows on it). By default, it's owned by administrators, but I had to re-define the ownership to my user account. If you have more than one person using a computer, this might not work, however what I did was:

1) Right Click the Drive in question, select Properties.
2) Click the Security Tab, then Advanced.
3) Check the box "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable..." at the bottom of the Advanced Security Window.
4) Look for "Owner" at the top of the window, and look for where it says "Change." Click it.
5) Click Advanced at the bottom.
6) Click "Find Now" and scroll down the list that appears until you find your username. Select it, then click "OK," then OK again. If using Windows 8, it should be your name, then your windows account (an email address) unless you didn't connect to their online service during install or account creation.

At this point, it should now run through every file on the drive and change its ownership settings. There's a good chance some will report errors, but watch and make sure those errors don't list the User, Documents, Program Files, Games, or any other folder you wish to save to/modify/use in the future.

Solution
OK.
According to MS...

Going from 8 to 8.1 (when it is actually released next week) is an 'update'. Supposedly all of your applications and stuff remains.

Going from 8.1 Preview to 8.1 release will require reinstallation of your applications.

http://www.winbeta.org/news/everything-you-need-know-about-windows-81-rollout-including-pricing-and-availability
"For those of you who are on the Windows 8.1 Preview, upgrading to the final release of Windows 8.1 is possible, but you will need to re-install all your apps. Unfortunately, you will only be able to transfer your data from the Preview to the final version of Windows 8.1 and all desktop and Windows Store apps will have to be re-installed."

What you got from your school and...

Reciever80

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2012

O.O

o_O

Uhhh, my idea was that it was simply going to be a windows update of sorts. Would you mind explaining what exactly is going to happen? I bought a Windows 8.1 key off my University's Dreamworks Premium Website, and was planning to use that once the Preview's over (since it wouldn't take it for the preview itself) -- not sure if that means anything.

USAFRet

Titan
OK.
According to MS...

Going from 8 to 8.1 (when it is actually released next week) is an 'update'. Supposedly all of your applications and stuff remains.

Going from 8.1 Preview to 8.1 release will require reinstallation of your applications.

http://www.winbeta.org/news/everything-you-need-know-about-windows-81-rollout-including-pricing-and-availability
"For those of you who are on the Windows 8.1 Preview, upgrading to the final release of Windows 8.1 is possible, but you will need to re-install all your apps. Unfortunately, you will only be able to transfer your data from the Preview to the final version of Windows 8.1 and all desktop and Windows Store apps will have to be re-installed."

What you got from your school and Dreamworks....no idea. Probably MSDN. But the retail 8.1 release is not until Oct 17.

Solution

Reciever80

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2012

>.<

-.-

Alright, thanks for the heads up. In the case that this happens again in the full release, any idea on how I can solve this?

USAFRet

Titan
Alright, thanks for the heads up. In the case that this happens again in the full release, any idea on how I can solve this?

Reinstall your applications. Apparently, your Win 8.1 install does not know about those applications, or their locations.
You can do it over their current locations if you want.

But you may have to do it again very soon.

Reciever80

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2012

Alright, thanks for that advice. Most of the issues, though, I believe revolve around permissions. The programs can NOT write to my second drive (D:\) without administrator privileges, and I don't know why. For instance, notepad++ couldn't save a text file on the "my documents" I have on a secondary drive because it didn't have access to it. I could select the folder, but it wasn't allowed to touch it.

Now, I installed that after I upgraded to 8.1 preview -- so "reinstalling" applications I don't believe will help. Do you have any idea why my programs can't write to my D: Drive? What permissions do I need to set so that I don't have to manually set each program to have write access to the D Drive folders?

I've tried unchecking the "read only" box in the disc properties, and I've seen both my username and Administrators have full access. What else is there?

SOLUTION:

It turns out I had to do a large scale ownership change of my entire D: Drive. By default, it's owned by administrators, but I had to re-define the ownership to my user account. If you have more than one person using a computer, this might not work, however what I did was:

1) Right Click the Drive in question, select Properties.
2) Click the Security Tab, then Advanced.
3) Check the box "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable..." at the bottom of the Advanced Security Window.
4) Look for "Owner" at the top of the window, and look for where it says "Change." Click it.
5) Click Advanced at the bottom.
6) Click "Find Now" and scroll down the list that appears until you find your username. Select it, then click "OK," then OK again. If using Windows 8, it should be your name, then your windows account (an email address) unless you didn't connect to their online service during install or account creation.

At this point, it should now run through every file on the drive and change its ownership settings. There's a good chance some will report errors, but watch and make sure those errors don't list the User, Documents, Program Files, Games, or any other folder you wish to save to/modify/use in the future.

taisen_shaho

Reputable
Feb 23, 2014
Just want to mention that this solution worked for me. I'd been experiencing this problem for almost 3 months, and it started right after I tried switching my main acc on the computer from local to linked to a Microsoft account.

Much thanks!

TRENDING THREADS