[SOLVED] After upgrading from a 970 to a 1080, CS:GO performs much worse.

Jul 13, 2019
With the 970 I was getting 100 FPS+ all the time, after upgrading to the 1080, I get around 65-90 rarely 100

SPECS:
CPU - AMD Ryzen 7 1700x
GPU - ASUS ROG Strix GTX 1080
RAM - 16 GB DDR4 (not sure exactly which one)
If I missed any important components please let me know, all help is appreciated and I really want to get this fixed since I've been playing CS:GO for years and want to continue :~)

Last edited:
Solution
Not sure anymore at this point.

1)Gpu and cpu temps are good.

2)I noticed XMP/DOCP wasn't enabled in either benchmark. The memory was running at 2133, not 3200.

3)Windows up to date.

4)Windows files are intact?https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026529/windows-10-using-system-file-checker

5)Windows Game Bar and Game Mode disabled.

6)PC is clean of viruses/malware? https://www.malwarebytes.com/adwcleaner/

7)Motherboard drivers updated.

After all that, only other thing I can think of is software, or combinations of software, that are causing performance problems.
Your system should be capable of 120+ fps in CS:GO on ultra settings; more at lower settings.
Did you happen to buy this card used or new?

Download and run MSI Afterburner while you are gaming to monitor what the card is doing, temps, clock speed, usage etc. If anything looks weird then report back.

Another thing to check is in the Windows and Nvidia Control panels make sure your setting are put to performance and not balanced or energy saving. Also check your CPU temps, it is entirely possible you knocked your cooler a bit and may be thermal throttling on the CPU.

Jul 13, 2019
Did you happen to buy this card used or new?

Download and run MSI Afterburner while you are gaming to monitor what the card is doing, temps, clock speed, usage etc. If anything looks weird then report back.

Another thing to check is in the Windows and Nvidia Control panels make sure your setting are put to performance and not balanced or energy saving. Also check your CPU temps, it is entirely possible you knocked your cooler a bit and may be thermal throttling on the CPU.
I did buy this card used but it was in pretty much brand new condition (according to the seller). I downloaded and ran MSI afterburner while in a deathmatch in CS:GO and temps were good, never reached above 60, but GPU usage was low, averaging around only 20%. Could this be the issue? I have max performance set in NVIDIA Control Panel and in windows power settings. Regarding the possible internal CPU cooler problem I could check that out if there is no solution for the 20% GPU usage, but I highly doubt that would be the reason my GPU usage is so low.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2019
can u check other games to see if its just cs go or the problem is with your pc
Checked Overwatch and Fortnite and there was a general increase in average FPS. Seems to be a problem with just CS:GO but I'm inclined to believing it has something to do with hardware because it happened right after the upgrade.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Resolution and refresh rate of your current monitor?
Do you still have the old 970 to test with? If you do, does it perform differently than what it used to?

EDIT: What is the speed of your ram, and how many sticks? Did you enable XMP/DOCP in the bios?

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2019
Resolution and refresh rate of your current monitor?
Do you still have the old 970 to test with? If you do, does it perform differently than what it used to?

EDIT: What is the speed of your ram, and how many sticks? Did you enable XMP/DOCP in the bios?

1920 x 1080 144hz, I do have the old 970 and I plan on testing it soon, my ram speed is 3200 2x8 sticks and I'm not sure about XMP/DOCP in bios.

Aug 18, 2019
That's really odd 1080 should run well beyond 200+ FPS depending on the resolution, did you ask the owner what was the reason behind why he sold the card? and did you ask him what did he use it for?

Try to do different other games try the DDU if it doesn't Reset factory settings your windows 10, i've read a forum on steam that there is a driver issues with nvidia im trying to look on it right now.

Jul 13, 2019
That's really odd 1080 should run well beyond 200+ FPS depending on the resolution, did you ask the owner what was the reason behind why he sold the card? and did you ask him what did he use it for?

Try to do different other games try the DDU if it doesn't Reset factory settings your windows 10, i've read a forum on steam that there is a driver issues with nvidia im trying to look on it right now.
alright if you find anything please let me know, the last resort would be factory resetting which i honestly rather buy a different one than do that

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
XMP(DOCP on Asus mobos) is a memory overclocking feature located in the bios.
Your 3200mhz ram does not come like that out of the box. You have to enable the profile in bios, otherwise, it's running at 2133.
The motherboard manual tells you how to do this.

Jul 13, 2019
XMP(DOCP on Asus mobos) is a memory overclocking feature located in the bios.
Your 3200mhz ram does not come like that out of the box. You have to enable the profile in bios, otherwise, it's running at 2133.
The motherboard manual tells you how to do this.
I enabled XMP and now my DRAM / NB Frequency is 1596 MHz, which I read is half of what your ram is running at. I tried CS:GO with the new boost in ram speed (2000 to 3000) but still no change.

TRENDING THREADS