[SOLVED] After upgrading my cpu my gaming performance decreased.

Aug 8, 2019
So I have a potato pc. A gtx 1050 and an i5 650 with 4 gb of ddr3 ram. I wanted to upgrade my cpu so I got an i7 870. I successfully upgraded and when I went to play a game, I got worse fps than my i5 650. I'm not good as this stuff so I have no idea what to do. Also after upgrading to this cpu I can no longer overclock with msi afterburner. Not even the gpu.

Solution
I think the subjective answer is that you have downgraded. At least for your use case.

The I5-650 has a base clock of 3.2Ghz
The I7-870 has a base clock of 2.93Ghz

On top of that you were overclocking your i5, but aren't your i7. You have more power, but less speed. Your i7 is also older than your i5.

This all probably adds up to the games you are playing are being limited by the single thread performance of the CPU, and your GPU is being held back.

Finding a way to overclock the i7-870 should bring back some FPS in your game. Alternatively see if your motherboard supports an i7-970/980/980X/990X. Which are the same generation as your i5 is.

nmb255

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011
I think the subjective answer is that you have downgraded. At least for your use case.

The I5-650 has a base clock of 3.2Ghz
The I7-870 has a base clock of 2.93Ghz

On top of that you were overclocking your i5, but aren't your i7. You have more power, but less speed. Your i7 is also older than your i5.

This all probably adds up to the games you are playing are being limited by the single thread performance of the CPU, and your GPU is being held back.

Finding a way to overclock the i7-870 should bring back some FPS in your game. Alternatively see if your motherboard supports an i7-970/980/980X/990X. Which are the same generation as your i5 is.

Solution

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
for gaming performance you should have gotten faster/newer cores.
you have more cores but each one is slower and games only use a few at most so more slow cores will ONLY help with gaming AND streaming at the same time.
the i7 can do 10 things faster than the i5 takes to do the same 10 things, but the i5 can do 2 things much faster than the i7 can to the same 2 things. in this case gaming and windows.
the i7 will only beat the i5 when you are doing many things simultaneously. gaming, windows, streaming, encoding. i7 wins.
for gaming and windows the i5 wins.