[SOLVED] After upgrading the CPU, the PC reboots itself when playing Fortnite ?

Feb 23, 2022
so i upgraded my cpu from 2600 to 5600x and after i installed 5600x my pc just reboots when playing Fortnite, sometimes after one minute and sometime after 10minutes.
This doesn't happen with NBA & CS:GO

Mobo: b450 pro4
GPU: 1660ti
CPU: Ryzen 5600X
CPU cooler: AMD default cooler
RAM: HyperX 2933mhz 16gb
PSU: Seasonic 620w

CPU temp 75-83°
GPU temp around 50°

I turned off automatic restart in Windows and then it worked for one day, but next day it kept restarting again.

Last edited:
Solution
There's your problem.
The stock cooler is not designed for gaming (or anything really). Get a proper cooler (I suggest the Noctua NH-D15 if you can fit it in your case) and your shutdowns will most likely go away.

The 5600X is officially rated to be safe up to 95C... I wouldn't expect a temp of 83 to force a shut down - although I agree it would be better if it was lower.

I'm curious how the OP has measured that though? Motherboard VRM temps are also worth considering - in my experience that is more likely to trigger a reboot than the cpu (which should just drop clocks if temps get too high). It might be the case doesn't have any fans or has restricted airflow. I do agree a better cpu cooler wouldn't be a bad idea though.
so i upgraded my cpu from 2600 to 5600x and after i installed 5600x my pc just reboots when playing Fortnite, sometimes after one minute and sometime after 10minutes.
This doesn't happen with NBA & CS:GO

Mobo: b450 pro4
GPU: 1660ti
CPU: Ryzen 5600X
CPU cooler: AMD default cooler
RAM: HyperX 2933mhz 16gb
PSU: Seasonic 620w

CPU temp 75-83°
GPU temp around 50°

I turned off automatic restart in Windows and then it worked for one day, but next day it kept restarting again.

This could be a few things....

1: Did you update your motherboard bios to the latest versions before installing the new cpu? If no then I would update this and see if that improves things.

2: Are you running the cpu at stock settings or have you overclocked it (either manually or using the 'PBO' mode)? If it's overclocked try dropping back to stock and see if it's more stable

3: Have you updated to the latest chipset drivers from AMD? These are worth installing and might help.

If none of the above helps, take a look in the windows event viewer (type 'event viewer' into search) and look for any entries in the 'Critical' event type - these might give you an indication as to what caused the reset.

There's your problem.
The stock cooler is not designed for gaming (or anything really). Get a proper cooler (I suggest the Noctua NH-D15 if you can fit it in your case) and your shutdowns will most likely go away.

The 5600X is officially rated to be safe up to 95C... I wouldn't expect a temp of 83 to force a shut down - although I agree it would be better if it was lower.

I'm curious how the OP has measured that though? Motherboard VRM temps are also worth considering - in my experience that is more likely to trigger a reboot than the cpu (which should just drop clocks if temps get too high). It might be the case doesn't have any fans or has restricted airflow. I do agree a better cpu cooler wouldn't be a bad idea though.

Solution