After upgrading the motherboard I can not re-install windows 7

MarvelK

Distinguished
May 15, 2013
I just upgraded my motherboard from Gigabyte 970A-DS3 to Asrock Fatal1ty 990 FX Killer and now I am not able to do a repair install of my Windows 7. I don't want to do a clean install and delete all existing files.

My Specs:
CPU: AMD FX-8350
GPU: Sapphire HD 7970 GHZ Edition Vapor-X 6 GB
Motherboard: Asrock Fatal1ty 990 FX Killer (New)
120 GB SSD (drive where OS resides) (Unplugged my other 500 gb HD)
Windows 7 - 64 bit (I am using the same ISO what I used when I first installed it on my PC)

I created a Windows 7 USB stick from original ISO. When I boot into USB and click on UPGRADE option, I get below error:
"Compatibility Report: The computer started using the Windows installation disc. Remove the installation disk ....."

If I go back and click on "Repair your Computer", I get below error:
"This version of System Recovery Opions is not compatible with version of windows you are trying to repair". Try using a recovery disc ..."

Also, If I choose "Custome (advance)" option to try to install a clean copy, and click on any drive I get:
"Windows cannot be installed on Disk 0 Partition3. The selected disk in of the GPT partition style"

I know if I format and install a fresh copy then it might work. But I don't want to format and just want to repair the OS.

The installer OS is SP1 but the one installed was latest, probably SP2? Is this the cause? I should be able to repair the OS but for some reason it not working.

I know the origional was AHCI and I made sure its still AHCI

Please help. Thanks

MarvelK

Distinguished
May 15, 2013
@Archgaull, Its a regular and not OEM. I got this ISO and license key from my University.

@gregbattis, I did a research before upgrading and I mostly found that a repair can be done

gregbattis

Honorable
Aug 9, 2012

Yes that is what i said to do a full reinstall, also it seems to be that it is a OEM install key If its not letting him install it at all.

TRENDING THREADS