[SOLVED] After Windows security update, black screen with cursor and no working task manager

biba82

Distinguished
May 31, 2012
Hi,

Last Thursday, even though I had blocked this update, Windows installed a security update, upgrading to 1803. A year ago, I had major trouble with this update, causing similar issues (no task manager, black screen with cursor). Through some miracle and a few days of trying out a range of things, I managed to rollback this update.

After spending a lot of time trying to fix it this time, I am about to give up and am hoping that someone out there can help me. I would like to avoid losing my data through e.g. a clean install.

I have tried startup repair, uninstalling updates via recovery console but it would not work.

Are there any kind people out there who could give me advice on what to do?

Kind regards,
Benjamin

Solution
I found this possible workaround. It restarts the update service and may clear up the bad effects. It wont hurt anything, and may not work.

launch Command Prompt window with administrator privileges. Click the Start menu, type cmd and then right-click Command Prompt to hit the option that reads Run as administrator.

In the Command Prompt window, type the following commands one by one to reboot the Windows Update service (you might have to wait a few seconds to complete each task):
net stop wuauserv
net stop cryptSvc
net stop bits
net stop msiserver
Ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
Ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old
net start wuauserv
net start cryptSvc
net start bits
net start msiserver

biba82

Distinguished
May 31, 2012
If you click on view updates, at the top of the page there is uninstall updates. Click on that and see if the offending update is listed and uninstall it.

Hi and thanks for your reply!
The only way I can do what you suggest is via command prompt as I cannot use the task manager.
According to systeminfo.exe,
there are two hotfixes installed: KB4287903 and KB4284835. I would like to uninstall the second KB but:
"Security Update for Microsoft Windows (KB4284835) is required by your computer and cannot be uninstalled."

Also thanks to systeminfo.exe I see that my OS version is 10.0.17134 (1803) . I also spotted that the 1703 which I ran (and which was stable) is no longer supported . What can I do next?

Sorry part of my response didn't get printed. I meant to go to control panel, open display settings page, look at view updates, and top of that page there is uninstall updates, click on that and see if that offending update is listed there. If it is uninstall it from that page.

I found this possible workaround. It restarts the update service and may clear up the bad effects. It wont hurt anything, and may not work.

launch Command Prompt window with administrator privileges. Click the Start menu, type cmd and then right-click Command Prompt to hit the option that reads Run as administrator.

In the Command Prompt window, type the following commands one by one to reboot the Windows Update service (you might have to wait a few seconds to complete each task):
net stop wuauserv
net stop cryptSvc
net stop bits
net stop msiserver
Ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
Ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old
net start wuauserv
net start cryptSvc
net start bits
net start msiserver

Solution