Question afterburner shows CPU reaching 100c after minutes in game

Jul 13, 2019
I recently upgraded my PC from a i5 to an i7 8700k, along with a new motherboard and GPU. This has been my first time ever building/replacing parts and it's been an experience to say the least. I left the side panel off my first start up to make sure everything was running okay, all fans etc. and I noticed my CPU seemed to be running hot. I installed MSI afterburner (first time ever using it) and it showed my CPU climbing and maxing at 100c within minutes of running TheHunter: Call of the Wild. I just ordered a new CPU fan and thermal paste as I am using the stock fan (and paste) that came with the 8700k. I'm a newbie with this kind of stuff but there is no way on earth this is normal. It didnt seem to be noticeably hot after I pulled my CPU fan off to check it. although I didnt handle it very much.

also there is no overclocking done. completely stock.

any ideas as to what is going on?

Jul 13, 2019
sounds to me like the push pins aren't fully engaged, that kind of temp is really only possible with poor thermal contact.
I did notice some wiggle when removing the cpu fan but didnt think anything of it. I havent even turned it back on since I put the fan back on, I'm gonna check it now and give it a shot!