Question Aftermarket cooler for R9 380X Nitro

Joseph_138

Distinguished
Does anyone know of a decent cooler for an R9 380X Nitro? I need a cooler that is the same length as the card, or it won't fit in the case that intend to put it in, which eliminates pretty much anything with 3 fans. Water cooling is also not something that I want to get involved with. The stock fans are loud when they ramp up, like dry bearings about to seize.

On the same subject, I could also use another cooler for an HD6870 with the same issue.

Jmi20

Prominent
Jun 5, 2020
I saw a gelid icy vision in aliexpress the other day. I think its compatible with your cards.

edit: I couldn’t find the link anymore, but isn’t the stock cooler good enough? An aftermarket one would just give it more bulk…. Replacement fans are extra cheap in aliexpress…

Last edited:
Reactions: spentshells

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014
Does anyone know of a decent cooler for an R9 380X Nitro? I need a cooler that is the same length as the card, or it won't fit in the case that intend to put it in, which eliminates pretty much anything with 3 fans. Water cooling is also not something that I want to get involved with. The stock fans are loud when they ramp up, like dry bearings about to seize.

On the same subject, I could also use another cooler for an HD6870 with the same issue.

Why not watercool? Not talking about custom loops, but AIOs. Got a nice 26 deg C reduction with my 1080 compared with the stock Zotac 2-fans cooler. The fans never spin past 50% even under maximum synthetic load.

The particular model of my AIO does list support for R9 3xx series. Mine isn't technically compatible but I managed to mount it anyway.

Jmi20

Prominent
Jun 5, 2020
Or something like this would be cool.

but it’s really not worth it spending for an older gpu like that. Better to just replace the fans, undervolt, and modify the fan curve through afterburner if you want it extra quiet.

Joseph_138

Distinguished
Why not watercool? Not talking about custom loops, but AIOs. Got a nice 26 deg C reduction with my 1080 compared with the stock Zotac 2-fans cooler. The fans never spin past 50% even under maximum synthetic load.

The particular model of my AIO does list support for R9 3xx series. Mine isn't technically compatible but I managed to mount it anyway.

My case won't allow it. It's a prebuilt Dell.

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014
I intended to point at the fan mod… you could simply remove your old fan shroud and install some noctuas.
Oh yeah, I've done this as well. To note that you'd want static pressure fans-- like ones on heatsinks. Typical case fans that isn't SP optimized resulted in higher temps in my experience.

Really dependent on how good the stock fans though, I think Zotac does a bang up job for their mini coolers since the only improvement I got out of the experiment was reduced noise but same temps.

Joseph_138

Distinguished
the guy’s looking for a gpu cooler. But i think i saw a youtube video once of a guy who installed an nh-d15 on a gpu 🤣

edit: lol here it is, i should try this some time.

I wouldn't have the room for something like that.

I think the best course for the HD 6870, at least, would be to find a dead card and yank the cooler off of it. I haven't found any dead r9 380X cards, so they would be too expensive.

Jmi20

Prominent
Jun 5, 2020
I wouldn't have the room for something like that.

I think the best course for the HD 6870, at least, would be to find a dead card and yank the cooler off of it. I haven't found any dead r9 380X cards, so they would be too expensive.

if fans are your only issue you could buy just the fans in aliexpress. They cost about $6.

or if you really want an aftermarket cooler i think i found one here and here.

according to gelid site, the first one seems to be compatible with the 6870 and the 380 (i assume 380 and 380x would be the same). The second one seems to only be compatible with the 6870.

Joseph_138

Distinguished
if fans are your only issue you could buy just the fans in aliexpress. They cost about $6.

or if you really want an aftermarket cooler i think i found one here and here.

according to gelid site, the first one seems to be compatible with the 6870 and the 380 (i assume 380 and 380x would be the same). The second one seems to only be compatible with the 6870.

What worries me about the 380X is that this is the Sapphire Nitro version that powers down until more GPU power is needed and the fans will actually stop if the GPU is not running hot. The fans ramp up as needed. Will the aftermarket cooler do this the same as the stock cooler?

Jmi20

Prominent
Jun 5, 2020
What worries me about the 380X is that this is the Sapphire Nitro version that powers down until more GPU power is needed and the fans will actually stop if the GPU is not running hot. The fans ramp up as needed. Will the aftermarket cooler do this the same as the stock cooler?

ive never had this cooler but since according to the documentation, the fans still plug in to the gpu. It should work.

edit: Here is the installation manual for it, and here’s the dimensions.