[SOLVED] Aftermarket PSU Help

xaeriee

Reputable
Aug 3, 2017
I'm trying to upgrade my son's PSU. He has a HP Pavilion 590-p0039
I can only find a 4 pin connection on the motherboard that's labelled as ATX and online as the "4-pin main power".

I'm having trouble verifying that the PSU's will be able to connect to the 4 pin on the motherboard.

For example:
Smart 500W (thermaltakeusa.com)
Amazon.com: Thermaltake Smart 500W 80+ White Certified PSU, Continuous Power with 120mm Ultra Quiet Cooling Fan, ATX 12V V2.3/EPS 12V Active PFC Power Supply PS-SPD-0500NPCWUS-W: Computers & Accessories

The end goal is to upgrade everything but we're doing PSU > GPU first. PC only has a 180w power supply which is why we're going for upgrading PSU first.

Edit: I think the problem is HP 590's have a proprietary PSU/motherboard... so I might be stuck purchasing a PSU from HP? Now I'm overwhelmed.

Solution
Unfortunately the budget is <$300 which is why I'm kind of stuck using what we have :(
I tried contacting HP but their tier 1 support/parts department failed me so I have to try again tomorrow during business hours.
Does this look like it'd work? I see a 24 and 4 pin for board power and 4 pin for cpu!
EVGA W1 Series 600W ATX 12V/EPS 12V 80 Plus Power Supply Black 100-W1-0600-K1 - Best Buy

It will not work for a proprietary connector. Only the CPU is likely to work.

Nor is it a PSU I'd purchase; it's extremely low quality for anything with a GPU. It's essentially a very basic office PSU.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
The motherboard has two 4 pin connectors from the PSU (top middle, bottom middle):
c05941232.jpg

Initially I thought they might've been using the new ATX12VO standard, but that's a 10pin ATX.
This is a proprietary standard, and you'd need either an HP unit, or adapters. Commonly, HP used 6pins though, so those are readily available.... I'm not having much luck looking for 4pin adapters.

Reactions: xaeriee

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
How far away is this end goal? Because if it's to upgrade everything, buying an HP PSU will make a full upgrade even farther away since the PSU will, by the end of your upgrades, no longer be useful. If we can get budget, goal, and time period for upgrades, perhaps we can get together a bit of a game plan? It's a bit of a tricky situation as a pre-built like this is not a good candidate for upgrades (though you obviously can't do anything about that part now).

xaeriee

Reputable
Aug 3, 2017
How far away is this end goal? Because if it's to upgrade everything, buying an HP PSU will make a full upgrade even farther away since the PSU will, by the end of your upgrades, no longer be useful. If we can get budget, goal, and time period for upgrades, perhaps we can get together a bit of a game plan? It's a bit of a tricky situation as a pre-built like this is not a good candidate for upgrades (though you obviously can't do anything about that part now).

Unfortunately the budget is <$300 which is why I'm kind of stuck using what we have :(
I tried contacting HP but their tier 1 support/parts department failed me so I have to try again tomorrow during business hours.
Does this look like it'd work? I see a 24 and 4 pin for board power and 4 pin for cpu!
EVGA W1 Series 600W ATX 12V/EPS 12V 80 Plus Power Supply Black 100-W1-0600-K1 - Best Buy

xaeriee

Reputable
Aug 3, 2017

Does this look like it'd work?
It has a 24 and 4 pin connector and then a 4 pin CPU connector

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Nor is it a PSU I'd purchase; it's extremely low quality for anything with a GPU. It's essentially a very basic office PSU.

Solution

xaeriee

Reputable
Aug 3, 2017

Ah dang, thank you for the advice. I'm at a loss. I did so much research and I don't know where to go from here.