Aftermarket vs. OEM Laptop Chargers.

stchman

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2012
Hello all.

I recently purchased a Lenovo 15ALC6 laptop. The charger is a square brick that is 20V, 3.25A, and has a 4.0mm x 1.7mm plug.

I recently purchased a spare charger off ebay for ~$10. Lenovo brand chargers run about $30.

My question is, as long as the charger meets the voltage and current, requirements, has the proper plug and polarity, will it be OK to use? The charger that showed up in my mailbox looks almost identical except it does not say Lenovo on it.

Thanks.

punkncat

Dignified
Ambassador
In theory as long as it's output is the same voltage and the same or better amperage it should work.
I have read that some of the new laptops are utilizing something along the lines of DRM (etc) such that only the manufacturers charger works. There was a thread somewhere around about that a couple of weeks ago.

stchman

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2012
In theory as long as it's output is the same voltage and the same or better amperage it should work.
I have read that some of the new laptops are utilizing something along the lines of DRM (etc) such that only the manufacturers charger works. There was a thread somewhere around about that a couple of weeks ago.
The aftermarket charger appears to work just fine, I just don't want it to damage the laptop.

Really, DRM on a charger?

punkncat

Dignified
Ambassador
The aftermarket charger appears to work just fine, I just don't want it to damage the laptop.

Really, DRM on a charger?

This seemed to be the case for the instance I referenced...can't find it now among the clutter, lol. I want to say it was in reference to a Dell machine. It wouldn't surprise me a bit.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS