[SOLVED] aftermath of overheating system

krestrazh

Prominent
Mar 30, 2021
Hello.
My system get overheat in close case with 0 fans, i wanna understand what part get overheat and what problems i take in advance(((
I build new system in new case ryzen2600/radeon r9 3200mhz 8x2gb/ old card 1050-2 gb palit with one small cooler. The case have 5 coolers and they little noisy, i buy fan controller to reduce noise and then plugget it - i forget plug power, so coolers doesnt work. So system works few hours in closed case with only cpu cooler and vcard cooler, no cooler to get hot air out of case. After 1 hour i noticed artifacts in the game, wall texture was with purple triangles, I touched the wall of the case - it was very warm. I I fix problem and system works without any artifacts. I think it was overheat memory, but i dont know - system or vcard. System radeon r9 have metall radiators but works winh 3200mhz/1.35v
1.The game tooks ~ 4GB of system mem, is there a difference in memory heating depending on the occupied memory size??? if yes - probably vcard mem get overheat.
2.Now all works fine, at least i think, can i now overclock cpu, system mem, and gpu?
3. Is memory overheating critical to service life?
thx

Solution
Short answer, if you have the fans hooked up now. No problem.

Any of the those components could have overheated. It was likely the GPU though.

As long as you monitor temperatures you can attempt overclocking.

DDR3 and DDR4 don't really get warm enough to worry about at stock voltages. Those heat spreaders are mostly for looks. They certainly help, but aren't necessary.

Stock AMD CPU fan would have kept them relatively cool anyway.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador

Any of the those components could have overheated. It was likely the GPU though.

DDR3 and DDR4 don't really get warm enough to worry about at stock voltages. Those heat spreaders are mostly for looks. They certainly help, but aren't necessary.

Solution

krestrazh

Prominent
Mar 30, 2021

thx for anser.
My cpu fan isnt stock amd dish. Its average tower(zalman's looks like) with ~ 160tdp, but probably it create some air movement.