????? ?? Again Kelly Need help.Again. Lost Picture & fax v..

I tried your below advice.

Click Start button
Click Run
Type: regsvr32 shimgvw.dll
Click the OK button

I get an error saying ... Loadlibary (shimgvw.dll) failed. System cannot find specified file.

I've checked. shimgvw.dll is located in the Windows\system32 dir ... and dllcache dir and
Lastgood dir. They are all the same in size, and version.

I copied the one from Dllcache into the system32 dir and ran the run command
regsvr32 shimgvw.dll again. Same thing. cannot find the file. But I know its there.

Even tried from run regsvr32 C:\windows\system32\shimgvw.dll ... Same thing

Anything else you can reccomend.

John

shimgvw.dll is the file and it should be in your \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 folder. If that file
is in your \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 folder:

Click Start button
Click Run
Type: regsvr32 shimgvw.dll
Click the OK button

Then open either Windows Explorer or My Computer, right click an image file, then left
click: Open With/Windows Picture and Fax viewer. Then you'll know that the viewer runs.
If you double click an image file, and it doesn't open in the viewer, then you will have
to associate the file extension for that image file type with the Windows Picture and Fax
Viewer.

T.C.
t__cruise@[NoSpam]hotmail.com
Remove [NoSpam] to reply

<Curly@me.com> wrote in message news:YmIKc.3560$Qv4.951@lakeread03...
> I've used your Picture & Fax restore and it doesn't help.
>
> I've tried to use it in the find program with no luck. Just a big clunk.
>
> Which means to me the file thats used is gone.. Can yiu or somebody
> tell me what file is run or used too open the MS Picture & Fax viewer.
>
> Appreciated the help. John

---

Curly--

What OS do you have? XP SP1?

Three things:

1) Do you have any system restore points you can try prior to when this
happened? You can put "restore" in the run box and click on the rstrui
folder and try SR.
2) Run SFC (System File Checker) by putting "sfc /scannow" no quotes space
after "c" in your run box and have your XP CD handy.
The idea here is to check most of your files and replace damaged ones from
the DLLCache folder. There should be no down side and this might help bring
back files needed for it.
3) Try restoring the file association with the download from Doug's site I
linked you to.

Chad Harris

<Curly@me.com> wrote in message news:tRUKc.3773$Qv4.962@lakeread03...
>I tried your below advice.
>
> Click Start button
> Click Run
> Type: regsvr32 shimgvw.dll
> Click the OK button
>
> I get an error saying ... Loadlibary (shimgvw.dll) failed. System cannot
> find specified file.
>
> I've checked. shimgvw.dll is located in the Windows\system32 dir ... and
> dllcache dir and
> Lastgood dir. They are all the same in size, and version.
>
> I copied the one from Dllcache into the system32 dir and ran the run
> command
> regsvr32 shimgvw.dll again. Same thing. cannot find the file. But I
> know its there.
>
> Even tried from run regsvr32 C:\windows\system32\shimgvw.dll ... Same
> thing
>
> Anything else you can reccomend.
>
> John
>
> shimgvw.dll is the file and it should be in your \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 folder.
> If that file
> is in your \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 folder:
>
> Click Start button
> Click Run
> Type: regsvr32 shimgvw.dll
> Click the OK button
>
> Then open either Windows Explorer or My Computer, right click an image
> file, then left
> click: Open With/Windows Picture and Fax viewer. Then you'll know that
> the viewer runs.
> If you double click an image file, and it doesn't open in the viewer, then
> you will have
> to associate the file extension for that image file type with the Windows
> Picture and Fax
> Viewer.
>
> T.C.
> t__cruise@[NoSpam]hotmail.com
> Remove [NoSpam] to reply
>

> <Curly@me.com> wrote in message news:YmIKc.3560$Qv4.951@lakeread03...
>> I've used your Picture & Fax restore and it doesn't help.
>>
>> I've tried to use it in the find program with no luck. Just a big clunk.
>>
>> Which means to me the file thats used is gone.. Can yiu or somebody
>> tell me what file is run or used too open the MS Picture & Fax viewer.
>>
>> Appreciated the help. John
>>

> ---

kelly

Check your settings here or download the restore from line 80:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\image\OpenWithList\shimgvw.dll]
@=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\image\ShellEx\ContextMenuHandlers\ShellImagePreview]
@="{e84fda7c-1d6a-45f6-b725-cb260c236066}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\image\ShellEx\PropertyHandler]
@="{eb9b1153-3b57-4e68-959a-a3266bc3d7fe}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\image\ShellEx\{BB2E617C-0920-11d1-9A0B-00C04FC2D6C1}]
@="{3F30C968-480A-4C6C-862D-EFC0897BB84B}"

--
All the Best,
Kelly

Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP
2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!

<Curly@me.com> wrote in message news:tRUKc.3773$Qv4.962@lakeread03...
>I tried your below advice.
>
> Click Start button
> Click Run
> Type: regsvr32 shimgvw.dll
> Click the OK button
>
> I get an error saying ... Loadlibary (shimgvw.dll) failed. System cannot
> find specified file.
>
> I've checked. shimgvw.dll is located in the Windows\system32 dir ... and
> dllcache dir and
> Lastgood dir. They are all the same in size, and version.
>
> I copied the one from Dllcache into the system32 dir and ran the run
> command
> regsvr32 shimgvw.dll again. Same thing. cannot find the file. But I
> know its there.
>
> Even tried from run regsvr32 C:\windows\system32\shimgvw.dll ... Same
> thing
>
> Anything else you can reccomend.
>
> John
>
> shimgvw.dll is the file and it should be in your \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 folder.
> If that file
> is in your \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 folder:
>
> Click Start button
> Click Run
> Type: regsvr32 shimgvw.dll
> Click the OK button
>
> Then open either Windows Explorer or My Computer, right click an image
> file, then left
> click: Open With/Windows Picture and Fax viewer. Then you'll know that
> the viewer runs.
> If you double click an image file, and it doesn't open in the viewer, then
> you will have
> to associate the file extension for that image file type with the Windows
> Picture and Fax
> Viewer.
>
> T.C.
> t__cruise@[NoSpam]hotmail.com
> Remove [NoSpam] to reply
>

> <Curly@me.com> wrote in message news:YmIKc.3560$Qv4.951@lakeread03...
>> I've used your Picture & Fax restore and it doesn't help.
>>
>> I've tried to use it in the find program with no luck. Just a big clunk.
>>
>> Which means to me the file thats used is gone.. Can yiu or somebody
>> tell me what file is run or used too open the MS Picture & Fax viewer.
>>
>> Appreciated the help. John
>>

> ---

Kelly, I had exactly the same problem as yours and no one could help, then
recently I loaded XP SP 2, and the P&FV returned. Good luck. I'm V Happy now.

kelly

Glad to hear it, thanks for the update.

--
All the Best,