[SOLVED] [Age of Empires 3 Definitive Edition] Black Screen then Error

Bobo1458

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2014
So my friends and I were playing Colosseum and we had me and 4 other players in the game. I went to attack one players base and then my screen goes black and I lose all sound and visuals. I then see an ERROR window pop up but I can't click it and everything is blacked out to where I have to sign out for everything to go back to normal.

(Steam)
PC Specs:
RTX 3080 EVGA FTW3 Ultra
Ryzen 9 5900x
ASUS Prime X570-Pro
PSU 1000w Corsair
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (4x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz
H100 Corsair Liquid Cooler
x3 Samsung SSD's - x2 500g x1 1 Terra
MSI Optix MAG274QRF-QD 1440p 165hz

Solution
One time occurrence or multiple times? Does it happen no matter who you attack or it is always one particular player?

Any other common factors?

Look for a consistent pattern with respect to the problem. Try to deliberately cause the black screens, etc.- once you can trigger the problem at will then knowing the leading sequence of events/actions may help identify the underlying cause.

Boot as normal and before doing anything look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for any error codes, warnings, or informational events that match the times your were playing Colosseum and the screen went black, audio is lost, etc..

Ralston18

Titan
One time occurrence or multiple times? Does it happen no matter who you attack or it is always one particular player?

Look for a consistent pattern with respect to the problem. Try to deliberately cause the black screens, etc.- once you can trigger the problem at will then knowing the leading sequence of events/actions may help identify the underlying cause.

Boot as normal and before doing anything look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for any error codes, warnings, or informational events that match the times your were playing Colosseum and the screen went black, audio is lost, etc..

Last edited:
Solution

Bobo1458

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2014
One time occurrence or multiple times? Does it happen no matter who you attack or it is always on particular player?

Great points! I'll come back to this post when I've collected enough data. I'm going to reinstall the game just to be sure, but I verified the game cache so uninstalling might not work.