Agggghhhhh what to buy?

highgrade00

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
I'm building the October 2009 Ars Technica Hot Rod Box (Gigabyte GA-P55-UD4P, Intel i5-750, 4GB DDR3-1333 SDRAM, Corsair VX550 550W PSU). I've purchased all of the items for the build with the exception of the video card. They used a Diamond Radeon HD 5870 1GB card since its DirectX 11 compatable, but im not down with the $399 price tag. I havent built a pc in over 7 years, so I have no clue whats happening in the video card world as far as value is concerned.

The video card I purchase needs to be able to run a few games (Sims 3, HoN, upcomming Starcraft and Diablo) at reasonably high quality--if not full quality. I don't intend on playing any FPS games. I also do some infrequent graphic design, audio, and video editing.

Im hoping to be able to find something at a good value below $150 if that's do-able (though I can compromise). I can always upgrade later when more DirectX 11 compatable cards hit the market and prices drop.

Solution
The 4870 outperforms the 5770. However, the 4870 is only DX10.1, consumes more power, and pumps out more heat. The 5770, uses less power, stays a bit cooler, and is DX11.

Honestly the 4xxx cards are on their last run if ATI hasn't stopped them already. They are starting to come up in price and running out of stock. I'd stick with a new gen card even at a slightly lower performance. ATI tends to gain some performance when the drivers mature. And after testing out Dirty2 last night, DX11 looks really pretty. HAHA
The 4870 outperforms the 5770. However, the 4870 is only DX10.1, consumes more power, and pumps out more heat. The 5770, uses less power, stays a bit cooler, and is DX11.

Honestly the 4xxx cards are on their last run if ATI hasn't stopped them already. They are starting to come up in price and running out of stock. I'd stick with a new gen card even at a slightly lower performance. ATI tends to gain some performance when the drivers mature. And after testing out Dirty2 last night, DX11 looks really pretty. HAHA

Solution

highgrade00

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
Wow awsome input!

Last newb question--how relevant is the brand (Saffire vs XFX vs Diamond, etc.)? I've been out of the game for a while and I have no clue what the benifits are of one over the other--the only difference I've notices so far is that some brands seem to use different cooling methods?

It's mostly personal choice. Most people look at the warranty, and what's included in the box. Some brands will clock their units a little higher, some are single slot and some take up 2 slots. I personally prefer a card that takes up 2 slots, these exhaust hot air out the back of the case, rather than into it. They don't actually use 2 slots on the board, but they do cover and take up the room of the second slot so it cannot be used for anything else. Most of the major brands are really close as far as quality and dependability. Just look for these things I have mentioned, and make your pick from there.