Aggressively Priced iPad Still a Cash Cow for Apple

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
[citation][nom]belardo[/nom]Where do you come up with this crap? iPhone4s = $200 (iPhone4 = $100) gee, same price as $200 Samsung Galaxy SIII and HTC One X. The Lumia900 is $50 because nobody is buying them at $100. SAMSUNG Galaxy Tab 2 (10.1) 16GB = $400... just like the faster iPad2.The Mac computers are a bit on the high side, but not much more than a top end HP, Dell or Thinkpad. Apple doesn't need nor want a huge market share - they are already a huge company with only 7% of the desktop market... I'm sure they'd love to grow that to 20% or so, but not like MS.BTW: Im not thrilled or impressed with apples law-suit happy lawyers.[/citation]the same crap that this article feed me it says iphone is another 20-30% higher than ipad. Why dont u ask them

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
[citation][nom]belardo[/nom]Where do you come up with this crap? iPhone4s = $200 (iPhone4 = $100) gee, same price as $200 Samsung Galaxy SIII and HTC One X. The Lumia900 is $50 because nobody is buying them at $100. SAMSUNG Galaxy Tab 2 (10.1) 16GB = $400... just like the faster iPad2.The Mac computers are a bit on the high side, but not much more than a top end HP, Dell or Thinkpad. Apple doesn't need nor want a huge market share - they are already a huge company with only 7% of the desktop market... I'm sure they'd love to grow that to 20% or so, but not like MS.BTW: Im not thrilled or impressed with apples law-suit happy lawyers.[/citation]
You can't be serious? While there's no difference between a service plan for a subsidized device vs. non-subsidized device, as people said above, the price Apple sells a device for is not what the consumer gets it for as a subsidized device. MSRP for the iphone 4s is minimum $480, up to $650 depending on the network it's for. I'm sure that large-contract service providers don't pay the maximum price, but I'm sure they also don't get the minimum price, even in volume-discount pricing.

Of course the same goes for big-budget android phones. But keep in mind, not all android phones are high-end "SGIII" type phones. So the margins for every company aren't identical.

Not that it matters. As I said before, it's nothing new that Apple charges a lot for their products. I personally don't feel they're worth the asking price, but clearly others do, and Apple has established their brand value. As consumers, all we can do is speak with our wallets and buy the products you like. No use in bashing the ones you don't like.

kentlowt

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Lower the price, sell more product, make even more profit... Apple fails basic economics.[/citation]
Or raise the price sell less products do less work make the same amount of money. To each his own.

G

iPhone 4s without carrier pricing (LIKE IF YOU BROKE YOUR PHONE AND COULDN'T GET IT REPLACED) $600

G

gee Apple makes more profit than Microsoft and Intel combined. They must be doing something wrongG

mike digital

Honorable
Jul 31, 2012
Correction make that over $117 Billion in cash reserves. And they still don't need our help in business planing or product pricing.

mike digital

Honorable
Jul 31, 2012
This is not true. But the Foxconn assembles products for Microsoft, Sony, Dell, Hp and and virtually very other company engaged in electronics. So these same "12" year olds assembled what you are using and or viewing at home.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
but the iPad's margins are still well above the profit any other PC hardware maker can make
Because the iPad isn't a PC it's a tablet, so that's an invalid comparison.

Just to clarify, iPad=computer but != PC.

mike digital

Honorable
Jul 31, 2012
What an item sells for has more to do with the customers perceived value is than production costs. Many electronic devices that sell for hundreds of dollars cost less than $30 to make. Why can't the iPad's competition make a dent in the iPad market share. In fact, in spite of increased competition the iPad's market share has increased during the last 12 months. Obviously the iPad is perceived as a better product and a better value

It just seems to drive some people crazy that Apple is doing so well..

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]Hate Machine[/nom]Look at non subsidized MSRP... you know the price Apple actually charges and not the carrier, then come back.[/citation] What difference does it MAKE to YOU? You are in the USA, you buy a subsidize phone... the iPhone costs the same as any other. My Galaxy1 was $225 two years ago. iPhones are $50/$100/$200~$300 depending on what you want.

Samasung GTi9300 Galaxy S3 16GB = $899 MSRP ($630~700 off the street)
iPhone4S 16GB = $899 MSRP ($760~800 off the street)

The price difference is not that much, the MSRP is the same. Nobody makes you buy anything of these. If you need a cheap unlocked phone, you can buy them new for $30 and up.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]Tomfreak[/nom]the same crap that this article feed me it says iphone is another 20-30% higher than ipad. Why dont u ask them[/citation] Article doesn't say that. It has almost double the margins, but doesn't mean double the profits and so what? Are you saying you are too poor to buy an iPhone that you really really really want?

I never owned and iPhone and not getting an iPhone... but the cost for me to get a new phone is no different if I went with an iPhone or not. Apple is out to make a profit like any company, they sell a product many people want. Its not like a Health Insurance company which rips you off and makes money off you when you are healthy and wants to avoid paying for bills when you are sick.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]bmonsalve[/nom]iPhone 4s without carrier pricing (LIKE IF YOU BROKE YOUR PHONE AND COULDN'T GET IT REPLACED) $600[/citation] (1) pay the $5 monthly insurance for the phone, and it costs you almost nothing ($60 a year). Break your new Galaxy SIII phone, still going to cost you $600 (unlocked).

Checking out att store. No-Commitment prices (ie: you break your phone and buy another)
HTX One X = $450 ($100 2yr plan - price has just been reduced because SGS3) 4.5 Stars
SGS2 = $450 ($100 2yr plan)
SGS3 = $550 ($200 2yr plan) 5 Stars
Lumia900 = $400 ($50 2yr plan) 3 Stars
MC Atrix HD = $450 ($100 2yr plan) 5 Stars
iPhone4s = $650 ($200 2yr plan) ** wow, only $50 more than the SGS3, if no commitment.
iPhone3GS = $375 ($1 2yr plan) - get the same interface, its $1.
iPhone4 = $550 ($100 2yr plan) - Lose Siri... not a great loss, but its also 8GB only.

[citation][nom]teh_chem[/nom]You can't be serious? While there's no difference between a service plan for a subsidized device vs. non-subsidized device, as people said above, the price Apple sells a device for is not what the consumer gets it for as a subsidized device. ~ But keep in mind, not all android phones are high-end "SGIII" type phones. ~ No use in bashing the ones you don't like.[/citation] So for a subsidized price, it makes no difference then... so its stupid to bitch about Apple making more money from their phones than say, RIM, Nokia or HTC. And as I listed above, the non-sub phones costs a bit more than the others.

I pay $3.50 or so for insurance on my phone. Stolen or broken, it gets replaced or repaired.
I'm on my 2nd Galaxy1 because the screen did shatter when it fell 3 feet to the floor. (What sucked was that it was defective and I was going to replace it anyway - so they had to repair it first before replacing it.

Keep in mind, not all iPhones are high-end 4s too. They have their $1. $50 and $100 models too.

Status
Not open for further replies.