AGP 1x, 2x, 4x and PCI

Skirmash

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I am looking to replace my existing AGP graphics card. When I originally bought it, AGP 2x etc was not around. Now, given my existing setup, which is a a Intel P2 450MHz with a Legend QDI P61440BX BrillianX 1S motherboard, which I will upgrade fairly shortly, I wonder what my options are as far as type of card - either AGP 1x, 2x, 4x or PCI.

Obviously, a PCI card is going to be compatible with the motherboard I have now and whatever I may buy in the future. I am not sure whether my motherboard supports anything more than AGP 1x. The documentation does not help. If it does not, does this mean that I cannot buy any card that requires AGP 2x/4x, or is it simply that it will work with my current motherboard but I will not see the benefits until I buy a new one that supports 2x/4x.

I have always believed, perhaps incorrectly, that PCI cards were always slower than their AGP equivalents, so I was reluctant to buy one unless I have to. But if my only other option is an AGP card that supports 1x only, then my AGP options are limited to an older generation card.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me ? Many thanks,

Skirmy

G

First, you are right that AGP is faster then PCI. Always go with an AGP card if you can. Second, I believe all the AGP cards are backward compatiable with slower AGP slots. I have a Gforce that will support 1x, 2x, and 4x. My MB supports 1x and 2x. The driver I have (Creative Labs card) actually shows what AGP speeds I that are supported (has the 4x shaded out) and allows me to select which speed I want. So, this card could work in you 1x only MB, even though it supports 4x.

Hope that helps.

G

Try dowloading SANDRA, it will tell you which type of AGP you have. You can get it from CNET.com (search for sandra in downloads).
I have an ABit BE6 (BX chipset) with AGP 1.0 (1x, 2x) and my ATI Radeon 32MB DDR works just fine. AGP cards are faster than PCI cards. You may want to wait until you upgrade the rest of your system as graphics card prices drop fairly rapidly.
If there is a Best Buy or Comp USA near you ATI has a $50 rebate, it doesn't apply to online purchases. Check out ATI's website for more details on ther rebate. At $150 (200-50 mail in rebate) I'm quite happy with my Radeon - it's worlds better than my old Xpert 98 (PCI).