AGP 2x versus 4x-HELP

G

Hi, I'm not really knowlegable about computer hardware, but I have a problem I hope someone can help with.

I have a SGI flat panel monitor. It is widescreen (1600 X 1024 resolution) and some special digital format, therefore only the Number Nine Revolution IV card works for it. I had this on my old gateway, and the card fit fine. On my new gateway (P IV, 512 RAM, recieved yesterday) has AGP 4x ports. When I tried to put my old Revolution vide card in, it would not fit. Instead of there being a small part, then abig part on the slot, it has been reversed. The new card (ATI RADEON, which i dont want) has 3 splits in it so it is backwards copatible. Anywyas I was wonderign if anyone knows:

WHY they changed the AGP port between 2x and 4x?

Is there an adapter or somethign that will allow my old card to plug in to my new gateway?

SGI makes a convertor box that cost $500, and lets me use any card, do you think it is better to but the convertor and a superwide savvy card (one which supports resolutions like 1600 X 1024) or do you think I am better off buying a $780 18.1 digintal flat panel from gateway? does anyone knwo how good the SGI one is? WIth the convertor too?

Thanks a lot, unfortunatly the company which makes my card (number nine) has been bought out and ceased operations, therefore I can not obtain a PCI version. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated, thanks alot,

David.

PS> if you could email responses to Hamhow@aol.com that would help a lot, thanks.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Nope! I have had almost every kind of consumer AGP card made, and they are all interchangable. Don't worry that the slot block is in a different location, you may have an AGP PRO slot that has EXTRA length added to the front, but STILL FITS standard cards. Let me put it this way-if it goes in, it will work. It sounds like you justa saw taht they LOOKED different and didn't even TRY to actually PUT IT IN!

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Nope! I have had almost every kind of consumer AGP card made, and they are all interchangable. Don't worry that the slot block is in a different location, you may have an AGP PRO slot that has EXTRA length added to the front, but STILL FITS standard cards. Let me put it this way-if it goes in, it will work. It sounds like you just saw that they LOOKED different and didn't even TRY to actually PUT IT IN!

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

arsend

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
(If you do have a Pentium 4 board, then chances are that is is an AGP pro slot, also, if your monitor has DVI interface, then the Radeon VE or Radeon AIW both have those interfaces. I have the AIW and have installed several VE's and their preformance was top notch, My grandmother has the same card that you have and it should fit no problem in the new motherboard.

If it works for you then don't fix it.

G

Well after I posted this I called several places and what it seems to be is that the voltage from the old AGP standard to the new one (you say is AGP PRO) was changed. Therefore they reversed the slot. IT seems most older cards still fit, yet unfortunatley my Revolution will not ( after the first guy who posted said to try and it should, I doubted the guy who had been hired to change the cards and tried it myself, with the same results). The ATI Radeon VE card I have does have that DVI connection, yet the SGI flat panel I have does not. ALthough I beleive the monitor is supposed to be one of the best, it work wiht very few video cards. I do not know what the connection is called, but it is a different kind of digital connection than DVI, i think only SGI uses it.

Now I just don't know if I should buy gateway's (well LG electonics) 18.1 inch digital flat panel which should work with my ATI RADEON VE ( monitor would be about $750), or if I should buy SGI's converter box ($500 dollars, would allow me to use ANY connection or video card, analog or DV-I) plus a new graphics card that can support the monitors wide resolutions ( 1600 X 1024).

Either option (new monitor $750, OR convertor box plus graphics card $750) are euqally priced, i'm just not sure whcih is better. I probabley should post this in the LCD forum though.

Anyways thanks for the help to the people that replied, and if anyone knows anything about the SGI's flat panel quality and its converotr box, I'd appreciate any input,
Thanks,
David