AGP 4x VS AGP Pro

G

Whats the difference between AGP 4x and AGP 4x pro? Is one just faster than the other or what?

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
AGP 4X is a data rate. AGP Pro (not AGP 4X Pro) is a modification to the AGP slot. An AGP Pro slot is larger and is designed to provide more electrical current to the video card. It's intended for high-end, professional type cards.

G

So as I understand it the GeForce 3 doesn´t use the pro slot...so if that is the card I want is the any reason to have a pro slot? Do you fore-see Nvidia or the board makers going to the pro slot?

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I don't know what the Geforce 3 uses but <b>if<b> it doesn't use AGP Pro then, no you would not need it.

I have no idea what will happen in the future. The trend does seem to be that video cards need less power than their predecessors. However, who knows what future features may be added which might require more power? Lot's of memory, possibly.

If I were to guess, AGP Pro will remain with the high-end cards and manufacturers of mass-consumer 3D cards will not quickly adopt AGP Pro because most of the consumers do not yet have it.

G

Have at look at Tom's Guide's under Graphics cards...he thoroughly explains the two slots and benchmarks various cards which will give you a solid overview of the situation.

"Cock-a-doodle-do" is what I say to my girl when I wake her UP in the morning!!