AGP Best Vid Card

G

I'm upgrading to Celeron 600 with AGP (normal, not 2x or 4x). I'm pretty sure its not worth it for me to get an AGP2x or 4x card if my mb doesn't support it. I was thinking about the voodoo 4500 for about $150 but would like to get something (16mb minimum, 32mb preferably) under $100. Its primarily for gaming. I appreciate any advice.

My system:
Celeron PPGA 600
128 MB Ram
voodoo3 2000 pci (16mb)

mpjesse

Splendid
Well, if your going to spend $150 why not go for a GeForce DDR? 3dfx would be ok too. I personally prefer NVidia because they do T&L while 3dfx had a brain fart thinking Anti Aliasing would be a big hit.

-MP Jesse

G

$150 is a bit too high right now. I'd prefer to stay under $100 if possible. Of course, I'll probably wait 6 mos. and ask for money for a new card for my birthday. last year I raked in $300. Thanks for the advice.

LTJLover

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'd get a GF2 MX card before a 3dfx any day. I know you can get GF2 MX cards for like $110 on pricewatch and they are awesome. If you look at most game FAQs in the readme file, you will see 3dfx mentionned a lot as having incompatibilities with the game. I have been told to stay away from them. They aren't nearly as fast as NVidia or even ATI these days.

Jon
"Water-Cooled CPU Runner"

G

forget 3dfx - pay more for less speed.

<font color=orange>What do you think? :wink: </font color=orange>

G

definitly, i wouldn't go near a 3dfx. (that's comming from a Voodoo 1,2 and 3 owner. swapped my voodoo3 out for a geforce2 MX and 3DMark score went from 2700 to 5700 (800x600x16bit).

and before any 3dfx lovers have a dig, i do hold a fond memory of the orginal voodoo's but the voodoo 4/5 just don't cut the cheese. sorry, but it's true.

G

Go for the 3DFX. It has better compatibility and no matter what anyone says here, unless you have used FSAA for a period of time you do not know what you are talking about when you say it is no good. I have had (for short periods) an Annihilator2 and a Prophet MX. Fortunately I was allowed to return them. The 5500 AGP is the best card I have ever had in my machine and now it has dropped to $200 U.S. I am running a P3 800 with it and always experience smooth framerates in all games with 4x FSAA. Once you use it IN ALL GAMES you will not want to go back to the non-hardware FSAA of the Nvidia chipsets. Most reviews use Q3 or other T&L (and there are damn few of them) applications for benchmarks. This is why the GTS always comes off with higher framerates. As I have said before do you want 50 FPS that looks really phenomenal or do you want 120 FPS that don't? There is a lot of hype around the Nvidia cards and a lot of people have fallen for it.