Rebe7254

Distinguished
May 14, 2002
For those of you who are familiar with my "c'mon" post, you are aware of my problems. I have a PNY Geforce4 Ti4400 with Detonator XP 28.32. In the tweaking utility that came with the drivers I go to the "Adapter" tab. Then it shows the little icon of the video card and I click "Properties" right under that. The in the "general" tab of that..ya know it gives device type, manufacturer, and location. For location it says:

My Geforce is AGP, I'm sure of it. Shouldn't it be in an AGP slot? Or am I misunderstanding something about all this. I recently sent the PC to my dad's office to have new parts put on it......now surely they weren't stupid enough to put it in the wrong slot. It says AGP on the video card - I remember because I put it on the old system myself. Could I have found the answer to my problems?

Flyboy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I don't believe the GeF4 comes in PCI form. I'll check to make sure though...

Best way to make 100% sure is to open up the chassis and have a look. There's no way it could be an AGP card put into a PCI slot. I don't think this is possible and your system probably wouldn't even boot.

Rebe7254

Distinguished
May 14, 2002
Nevermind. I talked to somebody over at anandtech and theirs says the same thing. It's no big deal. Thanks for the help anyway though. I think GF4 does come in PCI because on the cover of my manual for the video card it says "Verto AGP & PCI". Anyway, thanks again. Guess I'll just have to keep searching for the problem.

Flyboy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
So your still getting the random lockups? It sounds like you've tried different video drivers so I would try looking for a BIOS update and removing all unnecessary hardware like sound and ethernet. I know its a pain in the ass, but it would help to narrow down the problem to a defective videocard or a hardware compatibility issue. I can see your getting pretty frustrated. Ideally, if you don't have any valuable data on your computer I would start all over and reinstall the OS with minimal hardware. Then I would test, update drivers, test again, install one of the other components, test again, and so on. At any point if the issue returns then you should have a clear idea as to it being a hardware or a driver issue. If it happens with a bare-bones system and default video drivers, then I would try a BIOS update for sure. In fact you might want to try this first anyway. A bad BIOS/CMOS can wreak havoc.

If you would rather not start over, you can try cleaning the registry (use Regclean if Win98, not sure for 2000) and removing old video drivers with Detonator Destroyer (you can get it <A HREF="http://guru3d.com/detonator-destroyer/" target="_new">http://guru3d.com/detonator-destroyer/</A>)

Flyboy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
think GF4 does come in PCI because on the cover of my manual for the video card it says "Verto AGP & PCI
Ok. I bet it comes as either AGP OR PCI but it can't be both- at least I don't think so.

BTW, you never got back with Williamc on your power supply ratings. Don't underestimate this one because the Gef4 requires a significant (AND STABLE) amount of power. If you don't have at least 300W, then you need to get a new one-preferrably 350W...you may have to open up the chassis to find out. I'm willing to bet you have a 250 Watt since this is an upgrade and not a new system build.

If possible try to get either Enermax or Antec Power supplies. <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Flyboy on 05/23/02 03:24 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

williamc

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
PNY is the bane of my existence. If people would stop making PCI graphics cards we could move on. As it is customers insist on retrofiting pci docking stations for laptops with pci graphics cards. I wouldn't put anything past 3rd party computer manufacturers that promote using PNY graphics cards.

edit: Anything to be wary of with PNY, i've gotten several "Geforce 2 MX 400 pci cards" in that weren't that card at all, PNY packed inferior MX100/200 cards in the 400 box and shipped them as 400's. Thats called swindling...its illegal.

The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the empires state building, along came goblin, wiped the spider out

Flyboy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Jeez, your kidding? I'll definitely take your "buyer-beware" advice and steer clear of PNY.

Thanks!

Do you have anymore theories about this guys problem? I'm leaning heavily towards a power supply problem as you posted in a different thread.

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
the geforce 4 ti series does not come in PCI, only the mx series. it is impossible to put an AGP card in a PCI slot, it wont fit. Make sure you used the right drivers off the disk, for the right operating system. i accidentally put on the win2000 drivers(i have xp) and it recognized it as a "standard PCI graphcis adapter" i got ....ed and thought it was because of XP (i had just put it on) and i reformatted my HD and reinstalled windows. how stupid, all i had to do was reinstall the drivers for the right OS. oh well.

The first LAN party I went to was at a PETA convention. They booted me when I shot a crab in HL!