agp card only boots for Intel?

G

Hi,
I’ve run into a problem I haven’t been able to find an answer to on any of the boards or forums. I’m going the rounds with an AGP, Creative Labs Riva TNT 2 Pro video card that works fine in a P3 slot A Mobo. However, it will not even try to boot when installed to an AMD T-Bird socket A board. No video at all; and POST codes one long beep and 3 short ones (video). Clearing the BIOS on the AMD Mobo’s doesn’t make a difference. I’ve tried it on 2 different AMD (KT133a) machines with no success. But if it’s installed in any Pentium or celeron machine, it works fine. Is there possibly some kind of BIOS setting I need to clear from the video card? And if so, how is that done? Could this have something to do with CPU instruction sets? Could it be the via chipset on the AMD Boards? Thank you, Cindy

G

Hi,
Thank you for responding. Could you please elaborate on that? How do you tell which AGP cards will or won't work with these via chipset boards?

sudden unexpected cessation of computer activity with a sudden unexpected increase in user activity=

G

my CL Annihlator Pro has never had a problem with via chipset boards eithor. I'm getting ready to upgrade my video and just recently got an Epox 8KTA3+ (via), and don't want to run into this hassle with my new video card, whatever it's going to be...

sudden unexpected cessation of computer activity with a sudden unexpected increase in user activity=

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
i thought that via fixed that voltage problem after the mvp3 chipset. that was a big mistake on their part, and seing as they fixed the kt266 problem so fast, i am willing to bet that your new motherboard, even with a via chipset, wil be able to support whatever card you throw at it, so long as the card (or the board) is not defective! but you should really be fine. and that hardwiring the 3.3v line to the agp slot thing is kinda risky, because you have to know which pins on the agp slot are for the juice, and then you have to be really careful when you solder that wire to it, making sure that no excess solder spills over onto the pcb. or contacts more than one pin. that could spell disaster. there is a post in the motherboard section about a strange motherboard that has a wire on the back with a weird chip on it, and someone was talking about it being a 3.3v line wired to the agp slot. but i dont know about the chip..maybe someone made a voltage regulator for it. i have no idea. i personally have not done the mod, but was contemplating it. but now i am just going to upgrade the motherboard and processor to fix a whole bunch of problems!
-DAvid

-Vacuums suck...really...-

G

you're right, and I have no intention of soldering on a MB for ANY video card. Why don't they just make the dang thing right in the first place? I was just curious why that particular card wouldn't work in my son's A7V or my 8KTA3, but works great on the PIII it came out of and on my old Sis 333 celeron machine that I just use as a server / firewall machine. I was hoping to find out how to avoid this problem with my new video card purchase. I was thinking about an Elsa Gladiac 920 but after reading Tom's review of the the Radeon 8500, I think I'll wait and see how the 8500 reviews again with the bugs worked out. Thanks for the advise all!

G

I've read something in my Asus mobo book about a locating pin in the AGP slot which makes sure the card is is properly. It's possible that the card is simply not sitting in the slot properly.

Andy

G

here's something else to think about... AMD+VIA=problems!
VIA chipsets are problems all together, they need to get their act together before they no longer exist!

G

I've already been very careful to be sure the card was seated properly before my first post. Also, I’m aware that some cards may slide out very slightly on the end as they're screwed in because of a slightly bent slot bracket. This wasn't the case. My last 3 Mobo's in the last year have all been Via chipsets. This is the first via problem I've run into that I couldn't fix. I overcame the SB Live issue easily enough too. And this AGP issue really doesn't affect us adversly because it's just a little better board my son was hoping to use in his A7V until I replace my Annihilator Pro. But I must say that it does get old after a while. And Via's site is usually the last place you'll find out about these issues! I read Tom's article on the NVidia NForce last night and was very impressed. A chipset like that with a killer geforce 3 AGP card would probably scream with my 1.4 t-bird!!! I can't wait to see the reviews on the first few NForce mobo's that come out soon. My son might be getting a new Epox to go with his Anh. Pro!
hehehe =)

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Rcf, I used to have alot of respect for you, but you are blatantly trolling on every forum I have seen you on. Man please stop, it is one thing to support your favorite company and wish them well, even preach to the crowd to enlighten them, but you are dipping into the ignorant troll group. It just dosent suit you man.

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~

G

I'm sorry. I misunderstood. My bad.