AGP Compatibility Query

isnsrti

Distinguished
May 5, 2004
Hi, hopefully someone can help me out...
I'd like to buy a Radeon 9600XT card for my Dell GX270 which only has an AGP 2.0 slot. One reason for the 9600XT is that I don't need to upgrade the Dell's 250w power supply - the other is the good bang/bucks ratio. I can't work-out if the card will work in an AGP 2.0 slot. Any ideas?

jclw

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
9600 based cards are not keyed for AGP 2. Neither are 9800XTs. Everything else should 'tho.

*Dual PIII-800 @900 i440BX and Tualeron 1.2 @1.7 i815*

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
9600 cards ARE keyed for AGP2.0. AGP2.0 is AGP4x, with the 1.5v standard!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Your system will work with any modern AGP card including the 9600XT.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Oh, read my other information by the way. I looked up the GX270 and came up with the thing having an i865 chipset, which supports AGP4x and 8x cards with 1.5v signals (so long as the manufacturer puts an AGP slot on the board). The 1.5v standard is called AGP 2.0, ATI's site even tells you the card is AGP4x and 8x compatable with 1.5v signals. The terms "AGP 1.0, 2.0, 3.0" are rarely used, which is why the other forum member was thrown a bit off track.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
845G is AGP 2.0 only! That simply means it's 4x and only 1.5v signals! The 9600XT is AGP2.0 as well, it's 4x/8x and uses 1.5v signals.