AGP Graphic Card Using IRQ?

jc14all

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2001
Hey, just setup my new system: ASUS A7M266 M/B, AMD 1.3 G T-bird, ATI Radeon 64 VIVO AGP Graphic Card. My BIOS will allow me to configure the PCI slots on my M/B but it seems strange that slot #1 & the AGP slot share the same IRQ. Can anyone shed some light on this post? I thought the PCI bus and AGP bus were seperate? Help me understand this please.

JC-------<*){{{>{~~~~~
Fisher of men

jc14all

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2001
In answer to my own question, I didn't know but I do now, that PCI slot #1 & the AGP slot share the same IRQ. If you have a active card in slot #1, i.e., NIC, SCSI Controller, PCI Modem...etc. and an AGP graphics card installed you may get system hangs while browsing the internet or pre-emptive multi-tasking. Since both slots share the same IRQ there may be a bottleneck, conflict, or collision with which card gets its request first.

Solution: Move the conflicitng card to another slot then in BIOS reassign the slots to correspond to an open IRQ of your prefrence.

For more info. of PCI Bus IRQ Steering in Windows see "Microsoft Knowledge Base" article: Q182628 & Q182604.

I hope this helps someone else. This is such a cool forum, I have learned a lot from everyone.

JC-------<*){{{>{~~~~~
Fisher of men