AGP HD-Capable Video Card

sfxster

Distinguished
May 8, 2011
Hi, I have a Pentium 4 516 (Prescott 2.93GHz, LGA775), 768MB DDR-400 and Biostar P4M800-M7 board and I need an AGP graphics card capable of HD playing.

I only need a VGA for this, nothing of gaming or anything else (the computer is used for internet browsing and office). So I don't need a complete upgrade

Im not sure if the cpu you have can handle it regardless of video card. Probably better off to just upgrade to a new low end motherboard/cpu/ram/ and just use newer integrated graphics. If you really wanted to persue this, something like a 7600gt AGP would be fine but it still wont garentee smooth hd playback.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
The best graphics card that exists for AGP is, I think, ATI 4650... Funny thing is, my Pentium 4 (2.4 GHz) never managed HD with integrated graphics and BARELY managed it with nVidia GF 6200. And my Celeron M 1.8 GHz never had any troubles with HD. I guarantee, P4 @ 2.93 GHz definitely can play HD. Get K-Lite Mega Codec pack and Google for "HD video stuttering codec" - there will be some tutorials on how to enable the right decoders on your media player, and voila - everything works super-smooth. Even with Intel IGP ;)

professorprofessorson

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
AGP HD 3850 cards are the best ones on the market. They are power hogs though and generate a decent amount of heat due to their somewhat lacking single slot coolers, so you need to make sure you have a decent power supply and a well ventilated case.

sfxster

Distinguished
May 8, 2011
Thanks, I heard that using CoreAVC could have better performance. Is that true?

I forgot, the computer has a 400w generic PSU, I think it won't support a HD3850.
And here the best low-end PSU -non generic- (Something like Antec Neo-Eco 520w) costs 75 USD, wich is far more the money I have

What about a HD2400?

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
That's exactly it! CoreAVC! It is true: before enabling it as a priority decoder, some of my HDs would stutter or the video would lag behind the sound... now I watch Full HD on my Eee PC 900 =) Really, anyone who tells you that HD takes a lot of CPU power, just tell them to try CoreAVC...

Regarding your power supply... I don't know whether 400W is enough for HD3850. Try a PSU calculator on one of the manufacturers' websites (Antec, for example).

HD2400 will do as well.. I'm telling you, it's a matter of codecs =) Though, I must say, it looks like Pentium 4 loses out to any Celeron M even with CoreAVC as a primary decoder - as I said, I watch 1080p on my Eee PC (900 MHz) and it used to stutter on my old Pentium 4 before I added a GeForce 6200 to that. It's a well-known fact, though, that Pentium/Celeron M outperforms Pentium 4, so maybe it has something to do with that.

How much onboard video memory does your rig have? I suggest trying CoreAVC first.

sfxster

Distinguished
May 8, 2011
The M/B has a VIA S3 video, using 64MB of RAM, it barely works with Win XP so I don't think it will work :D..

Well, that's not my PC (is from my dad). Mine is quite better hahaha

PD: Forgive any mistake, english isn't my native language

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
That's okay, neither it's mine... hey, my P4 mobo also had onboard 64MB VIA S3! Is your mobo by any chance Mercury? =)

My Intel IGP has 128MB video RAM, but then, again, my Eee PC with 64MB video RAM also manages... I think Pentium 4 is a sad exception here, no wonder that they used Pentium M architecture for Core Duo instead... P4 wasn't quite a success, as I realize now =) So you will most likely need AGP graphics.

sfxster

Distinguished
May 8, 2011
Nope, the PC is an 'Olidata' (some random/very low-end/shitty brand) hahaha, the only decent of the computer is the CPU cooler, I had to upgrade almost everything to make it a bit better (came with a Celeron 2.4GHz and only 256MB DDR-400 RAM). Luckily I have some old parts here, but don't have AGP graphic

Yeah, I think the same thing about P4. Or Athlon did a great job or Prescott was pretty bad

I found a HD3650, I think I gonna buy it, hope the PSU will work with it