EagleSky

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
Hi!

I need to upgrade my system and my graphics cards is ok and I don't need to buy a new one for now. But the new motherboards for the new processors don't support AGP, only PCI Express and my graphics card is AGP! Are there any solutions exept buying a new PCI Express graphics card, like AGP to PCI Express adapters maybe? Or do you know some motherboards that have PCI Express and still support AGP? Any other solutions?

Thanks!

MTLink

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2005
What's your current graphics card?

That motherboard prozac posted would solve your solutions. However, chances are that if you still have an AGP mobo, then you also have a Socket A/462 processor, which would not be compatible with that board.

AGP graphics cards are still pretty good. The 7800GS just came out, and if you look closely enough, you can still find some X850 variants in AGP.

I would say wait until the end of this year to upgrade to a whole new computer. By then, we'll have Socket AM2, DirectX 10, and Windows Vista. Unless you're a hardcore gamer who likes to play F.E.A.R. in HD at the highest possible resolutions, there's really no point in upgrading now only to upgrade again (and spend thousands of dollars) at the end of the year.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
MTLink idea is not bad at all. You should wait for several months to build a system with windows vista and by then the price for sli mobo and pci-e card should be cheaper.

cleeve

Illustrious
I have an Asrock 939dual-SATA2

Excellent board; the only thing holding back better performance for me is my really crappy RAM (a problem I plan to remedy in the near future...)

mt_hoodman

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
Ok... I have this mother board and am looking to put in a pci-e card. I currently have an x850xt agp and was wondering if I need to stay with ATI or can you us an nvidia card without having software issues?

mt_hoodman

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I've used ATI AGP and nVidia PCI-Express cards together on that chipset. nVidia's driver demands the nVidia card be primary or else 3D doesn't function properly.

You could run both cards if you wanted, simply by uninstalling the ATI driver, removing the card, installing the nVidia card and driver, then reinstalling the ATI card and driver. But the nVidia card would be the game card in that type of configuration.