AGP PRO....is that a cheap gimmick??

G

I plan to buy a new mobo and a Geforce3 and was wondering if an AGP pro slot is a must for a G3 or is a normal agp 2x4x enough??

TheSandman

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
To the best of my knowlage the are not any mainstream cards that currently require the agp pro slot.

SANDMAN
LEAN MEAN KILLIN MACHINE

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
Unless you want to get a highend graphics card, the ones designed for 3d Development etc. You wont need the AGP Pro. It gives it extra power. Normal Graphics cards like the GF3 wont need it.

It certainly isn't a cheap gimmick though.

<i><b><font color=red>"2 is not equal to 3, not even for large values of 2"</font color=red></b></i>

G

The GF3 does not require AGP Pro. The only card on the market that needs more power than the slot can provide is the Voodoo 5 5000. However, this uses an extra power connector like a hard disk, and still does not require AGP Pro.

I guess if any 3D gaming cards come onto the market that need the extra power, then manufacturers will use power connectors like this until everyone has AGP Pro slot, or at least they'll provide a version that uses this.

The only cards that use AGP Pro are mega-powerful professional cards which can display on 4000 monitors simultaineously and render the entire Toy Story movie in 4.3 seconds (I may be exagerating slightly).

Now why can't the Voodoo 5 do this? :)

~ I know the human being and fish can coexist peacefully ~

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
...and power entire holodecks!.... ...no wait. maybe not yet.

<i><b><font color=red>"2 is not equal to 3, not even for large values of 2"</font color=red></b></i>

Tempus

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2001
No, we will assimalate you holodecks and your G3's! Resistance is futile!

- I don't write Tom's Hardware Guide, I just preach it"