helpabrothaout

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2004
My Soyo kt333 Dragon ultra-platinum MB has an 'AGP Pro' slot. I currently have an NVidia Gforce4 ti 4200 128 megs, but would like to upgrade. Is 'AGP Pro' equal to 4x? Are most of the new video cards now a days 8x only? Just curious what my options are with my motherboard as far as one of the new fancy dancy video cards.

Any help would be appreciated.

AGP pro is mainly for workstation cards, however they will work with gaming cards. They provide more power to the card than a standard AGP slot can (they also ahave a few more features/restrictions, but that's the basics).

There are 2 classes AGP PRO 50 and AGP PRO 110.

These can come in speeds of either 4X or the latest 8X versions.

There are NO cards that require 8X only slots. Even the R9600 series (the most finicky IMO) will work on all 1.5volt 4X agp slots. And that's the thing, best to check the voltage as there are 3.3v AGP PRO slots, and you should check what the card you are using supports. The Keying should keep you from messing up but check to be sure. And if you use any other card than the R9600 series they will all support even 3.3v signaling IIRC.

Here's a quick description from Anandtech;
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/guides/viewfaq.html?i=25" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/guides/viewfaq.html?i=25</A>

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
9800XT removed the 3.3v key notch found on the 9800 Pro. So now you have the 9600 series and the 9800XT as the only non-universal gaming cards.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Hey, Thanks! Didn't know that.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil: