AGP Pro

hmg57

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2001
I would like to know if it's possible to use ASUS GeForce 2 GTS on A7V133 mobo (AGP Pro slot).

No one lives forever

G

Should be, I'm not too familiar with the AGP Pro slot, but from what I've gathered it just is capable of supplying more power to the AGP card as newer cards may need it. It would make no sense to not be backwards compatible

G

Yup. Lot's of mainstream consumer mobo's have AGP pro slots... like practically every board from Asus it seems like as well as many others. You can't run an AGP pro graphics card (in other words, a professional-level graphics card) in a standard AGP slot, but you can ALWAYS run a standard AGP graphics card (like all consumer level cards) in a Pro slot.

Cheers,
Warden

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I didn't think there were any AGP Pro graphics cards yet? GEFORCE3 to be first?

-----------------
"648kb is all the space anyone will ever need!"

Bill Gates, 1980s

G

Nah, I don't think GeForce 3 will require AGP Pro. Pretty sure I read that as a fact somewhere.

I beleive that there ARE AGP Pro graphics cars in existence now, but that they are multi-thousand dollar professional level cards. I know there are no gaming cards that require a Pro slot.

Regards,
Warden

G

Pre-production boards of a product that was never released into retail channels doesn't count as "a consumer-level graphics card"! Er, well I wasn't counting it anyway, though it is the closest thing yet to a mainstream card that would require AGP Pro.

Cheers,
Warden

hmg57

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2001
After a few readings, I've learned that AGP Pro is only an AGP slot on which you can adjust the voltage for video cards that require more power than standard cards. These slots are backward compatible so you can put your 'old' AGP 4X GeForce2 in it. BTW, is the GeForce3 AGP Pro or 4X ?

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a bear, Fuzzy Wuzzy had no hair...

G

Yes you are correct (well, technical the AGP Pro runs at the same voltage but provides more amperage for those high-power cards.) As for the GeForce 3, no it doesn't require an AGP Pro slot. Here are the system requirements for the 3D Prophet III off of Hercules' website:

Pentium® II / AMD K6® and higher or compatible
Available AGP slot *[It says elsewhere that AGP 2x AND 4x are supported.]
64MB RAM
10MB hard disk space (More to install games)
CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive
Microsoft Windows® 95 OSR2, Windows 98 and higher

Now I suppose that some company could build a GeForce 3 card that DID require an AGP Pro (say if they added a huge number of power-hungry features to it somehow) but I think they would avoid this at all cost as it would limit their market.

Cheers,
Warden

My first harddrive was huge--30 MB!

G

The GF3 does not require AGP Pro. The only card on the market that needs more power than the slot can provide is the Voodoo 5 5000. However, this uses an extra power connector like a hard disk, and still does not require AGP Pro.

I guess if any 3D gaming cards come onto the market that need the extra power, then manufacturers will use power connectors like this until everyone has AGP Pro slot, or at least they'll provide a version that uses this.

As people have said, the only cards that use AGP Pro are mega-powerful professional cards which can display on 4000 monitors simultaineously and render the entire Toy Story movie in 4.3 seconds (I may be exagerating slightly).

Now why can't the Voodoo 5 do this? :)

~ I'm not AMD biased, I just think their chips are better. ~

G

aren't geforce 2 pro cards using agp pro and they have a little higher clock and memory speed from the extra voltage

i may be wrong so don't quote me on that