AGP problem 9600XT

After XP reinstall, i cant seem to get agp up and running.
The SMARTGART feature Tells me i can choose between 4x 8x agp, but after
reboot its still "off"
No need to say its sad playing 3d games now... :(
I´ve tried old drivers and new drivers nothing works.
Tried new monitor drivers, didnt help.
Bios fully updated , MOBO A7V8X-MX.
But it ran fine before xp reinstall.
Help pls

Someone in an earlier post suggested that setting the AGP bus to 4x
solves this issue, it could be a bios setting, else it can also be
changed in via ATI catalyst software.

Btw, I ordered this card just yesterday, so I might have a chance to
play with it this weekend. I am not hoping for a smooth ride :(.