AGP rev2.0 at 2X and Rev1.0 at 2X -->Compatible??

Askitis

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2001
AGP terminology seems a little comfusing.

How does AGP Rev1.0 at 2X compare to AGP Rev2.0 at 2X ?
Do they overlap? Are they totaly unrelated?

What types of graphics cards are compatible with a motherboard having AGP Rev1.0 at 1X,2X ?

Any thoughts?

G

This may not apply to you, but in regards to above, everyoen should be aware that some OLDER cards (aGP 1x/2x) will not work on NEWER motherboards (4X) as the slot is different and they dont have the two slits for backwards comaptibility. I think this was changed for voltage changes, and it mad eme unable to use ,my Revolution IV on my new comp.

Askitis

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2001
>OLDER cards (aGP 1x/2x) will not work on NEWER >motherboards (4X)

So, the opposite should be possible then. I mean, a new card on an old (Revision1.0) AGP board.

The reason I bring this up is because some of the newest cards mention that AGP <font color=red> Revision2.0</font color=red> is one of the requirements.
This makes me nervous..

Askitis

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2001
>An AGP4X card will work at AGP1X just not as fast

Are you saying:
a) AGP Rev2.0 at 4X will work on AGP Rev2.0 at 1X , or
b) AGP Rev2.0 at 4X will work on AGP Rev1.0 at 1X ??

I am confused because you didn't mention anything about Revision numbers. I mean, AGP rev2.0 includes speeds 1X,2X,4X, but is it just speed or is there difference in communication protocols as compared to AGP Rev1.0 (which includes speeds 1X,2X)?

G

Well, I don't really know about revision numbers and the like, but yes newer cards will PHYSICALLY fit on older motherboards, but older cards may NOT physically fit on newer motherboards. I'll leave revision numbers and speeds for osmeoen else to answer...