AGP Video Cards

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Will 4X AGP video card work in a motherboard with any speed other than 4X? I
have an old computer with a slower AGP slotthat I want to install a new
video card in.

Thanks
bob

Anything is backwards compatible. If you have an AGP 2x then you may be able
to Overclock your voltages and get it to work.

--
"Duct tape is a lot like the Force. It has a Dark side, a Light side, and it
holds all the pieces of the Universe together"
"bob" <bob@robertsteele.org> wrote in message
> Will 4X AGP video card work in a motherboard with any speed other than 4X?
> have an old computer with a slower AGP slotthat I want to install a new
> video card in.
>
> Thanks
> bob

jad

the voltage supplied to the AGP slot is most vital.

"bob" <bob@robertsteele.org> wrote in message
> Will 4X AGP video card work in a motherboard with any speed other
than 4X? I
> have an old computer with a slower AGP slotthat I want to install a
new
> video card in.
>
> Thanks
> bob

Tim

"bob" <bob@robertsteele.org> wrote in message
> Will 4X AGP video card work in a motherboard with any speed other than 4X?
> have an old computer with a slower AGP slotthat I want to install a new
> video card in.

Depends on the card, many 4x cards are backwards compatible at least down to
2x. Check with the manufacturer though, specifying the exact mobo you have.

bob wrote:
> Will 4X AGP video card work in a motherboard with any speed other than 4X? I
> have an old computer with a slower AGP slotthat I want to install a new
> video card in.
>
> Thanks
> bob

Try it and see. The card should be backwards compatible, but it really
depends on just how old the motherboard is. When you get into trouble is
when trying to put a new 8x card in a 1x or 2x motherboard, or vice versa.