AGP Voltage DOES matter (sometimes)

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Some new information (new to me) has just made the AGP voltage issue a real concern. Forgive me if you already know this but normal AGP slots come in 3 types:3.3v, 1.5v, and universal. Most Mobos have universal AGP so the voltage the card needs does not matter. Old cards are 3.3v only and fit fine in 3.3v slots or universal slots but they do NOT fit in 1.5v only AGP slots.

Our company just recently got a hold of some ASUS mobos with 1.5v only AGP slots. The video cards out customers picked were 3.3v only cards and they do NOT fit. I am pissed at Asus for not suppling a universal AGP slot or warning of possable compatability problems and I am pissed at all the makers of all video cards because they do not tell you what voltage a given card runs. They all say what x (1x, 2x, 4x) but just try to find out what voltage a card runs at.

If you want more information go to www.agpforum.org.

Still reading?
AGP PRO adds 3 more possable combinations: AGP PRO 1.5v, AGP PRO 3.3v, and AGP PRO universal. Just like before the universal slot can handle either voltage. AGP PRO slots take PRO or non-PRO cards so an AGP PRO universal can take any card.

G

Wish I knew about this whole AGP voltage thing myself a few months back. I bought a Gigabyte 6BXC board (on the dealer's recomendation) and a Voodoo3 3000 card (kickass vid, so I THOUGHT)... installed and for the longest time got NO 3D functions.

Finally came across the AGP voltage thing, gave up on fixing it, and now have a mobo AGP slot I absolutely DREAD
and a burned out V3000 card...

Ya think you know everything there is to know, and the things you find out later....