AHCI and Raid controller woes

Conzul

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
Hi everyone! First post here on tomshardware.

I have a (non-crucial, I guess) issue with my storage setup. Here's my PC, I hand-built it just under a month ago:
Mobo: Asus M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 (BIOS is American Megatrends v. 1702)
CPU: Phenom II X6 1090T BE
Mem: 16Gb Gskill Ripjaws
GPU: HD6950 1GB
Storage: 2x 1TB Seagate HDDs in Raid0 and 1x OCZ Agility 3 60GB SSD

When properly configured, my SSD worked blindingly fast (my first SSD experience) and got a 7.9 WEI. However, I later installed the Raid0 setup and this is were my BIOS lacks versatility: SATA slots 1-4 may be set to AHCI, Raid, or IDE. The remaining 2 slots (slots 4-6) are slightly independent of this, as they may be set either to what 1-4 are set to, or IDE. Now - my SSD was originally in AHCI mode, but since I raided the new HDDs, AHCI is no longer an option in bios with Raid turned on for 1-4. The SSD's WEI dropped to 6.9, and seems to work (just the smallest bit) slower. The speed is the same when the SSD is set to IDE or Raid, but I obviously lost TRIM because I can't run it in AHCI mode.

So - is there a way to force my bios to run both a Raid and an AHCI mode? Or should I bite the bullet and find a program to manually TRIM the SSD and set it to Raid with the others? Thanks for any help.

Conzul

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011

Really? I was under the impression that TRIM was only for AHCI...haha what a dummy. Thanks Mr Moderator.

TRENDING THREADS