saifraja

Honorable
Jul 2, 2014
So i just bought an ssd ofr Rs 4100 to give a new life to my old pc .But only saw slight improvement as oppose to the reviews online.
I did some googling to speed up my ssd and downloaded samsung magician software in which trim is activated but AHCI is shown deactivated.
Did some googling again Went to BIOS changed IDE to AHCI nothing happened.
Did some googling again Checked Device Manager and found no AHCI controller was there.
Did some googling again Went to Intel website to download the driver but it had discontinued support for my processor.
Please show me step by step process to activate/install AHCI

My device info :-
Processor : Intel Core2 Duo E7400 @ 2.80 GHz , (775 LGA)
Motherboard : Maxtone G41 LM 4 ( It's a cheap mobo that has American Megatrend Bios)
Ram : 6 GB DDR3
Storage : Samsung 860 Evo 250gb as C drive
WD 1 TB HDD @ 5400 rpm as main storage

PS : Tried both Clean Install and Samsung Migration Software and results are similar
Here is my benchmark

Solution
Changing from IDE to AHCi would have rendered your Windows unbootable.
Did some googling again Checked Device Manager and found no AHCI controller was there.
Changing from IDE to AHCi would have rendered your current Windows unbootable so I suspect you have a secondary (non-Intel) controller on that board to which you've attached your drives. Possibly Marvell which was common in those years. Being unable to locate any specifications or documentation for your board I am unable to assist further. Review your user manual and make sure you have the SSD plugged into the Intel ports.
By the way. Intel ports would be Sata2 and the Marvell ports were...

saifraja

Honorable
Jul 2, 2014
motherboard is sata ii, not sata iii. is about half the performance on what suppose to get
i have seen in real life how AHCI mode boost speed considerably , my friend holds the pc parts shop where he installed many ssd's to both old n new pc including g41 but my tech savvy friend who always helped me, went to his village and my other friends dont have that much knowledge so kindly inorder to make the most out of my investment,guide me to activate AHCI.

THANKS FOR YOUR SUPER FAST REPLY !!!

Last edited:

popatim

Titan
Changing from IDE to AHCi would have rendered your current Windows unbootable so I suspect you have a secondary (non-Intel) controller on that board to which you've attached your drives. Possibly Marvell which was common in those years. Being unable to locate any specifications or documentation for your board I am unable to assist further. Review your user manual and make sure you have the SSD plugged into the Intel ports.
By the way. Intel ports would be Sata2 and the Marvell ports were probably Sata3 (but were actually slower then the Intel ports... ) which was the common setup.

Solution

saifraja

Honorable
Jul 2, 2014

By the way. Intel ports would be Sata2 and the Marvell ports were probably Sata3 (but were actually slower then the Intel ports... ) which was the common setup.

Maxtone G41 LM 4 ( It's a cheap mobo ...)
Likely uses Intel ICH7 SATA Controller which does not offer AHCI.

You need a newer model motherboard for AHCI.
This is taken from Intel Website .It does support