News AI takes YouTuber's voice — alleged offending videos have now been unlisted

Giroro

Splendid
You can't copyright your voice.

Even if things change so you could, how would that even work? How famous or influential should somebody be before special rights kick in to let them stop people/robots from sounding similar? What metrics should we use to determine how famous somebody is? Should we make a national registry of protected famous people? If so, who gets to decide who's allowed on that list? What about somebody who's natural speaking voice sounds exactly like a celebrity? What about parody? What about public figures?

No, how it works is that uppity celebrities and influencers get to use their amplified voices to cry victim from their ivory towers, and companies get to choose to back down when they think the complaining might hurt their bottom line. It's annoying, but anything else we can try will just make life worse for the low caste non-elite, non-celebrities like me and you. On the plus side, this means we can just completely ignore the drama. These people could solve their problems by building giant robots to fistfight on the moon, for all that their pretentious bickering and drama will ever affect me.

Reactions: Sluggotg and Dr3ams

drinking12many

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2011
There is an interesting argument to be made on this, what if someone does sound like someone else? For example, there are comedians etc that do a darn fine job impersonating people. What if my natural voice sounds very close to someone else and they use my voice. I don't see long-term how most of this gets resolved in a legal respect as unless you can prove the AI was trained on that specific voice ie through court discovery etc. What if it wasn't? Then can they continue to use that voice? I get it that people should have some say but with billions of people on the planet its not unfathomable that many of us sound similar. If they try to use it as a celebrity endorsement then sure absolutely, but if it just somewhat sounds like someone I think that's harder to say it deserves compensation.

You can't copyright your voice.

Even if things change so you could, how would that even work? How famous or influential should somebody be before special rights kick in to let them stop people/robots from sounding similar? What metrics should we use to determine how famous somebody is? Should we make a national registry of protected famous people? If so, who gets to decide who's allowed on that list? What about somebody who's natural speaking voice sounds exactly like a celebrity? What about parody? What about public figures?

No, how it works is that uppity celebrities and influencers get to use their amplified voices to cry victim from their ivory towers, and companies get to choose to back down when they think the complaining might hurt their bottom line. It's annoying, but anything else we can try will just make life worse for the low caste non-elite, non-celebrities like me and you. On the plus side, this means we can just completely ignore the drama. These people could solve their problems by building giant robots to fistfight on the moon, for all that their pretentious bickering and drama will ever affect me.
The reason the "famous or influential" are doing this is their voice/appearance/likeness is how they make their money.
If Youtube was suddenly flooded with AI videos of Jeff Geerling and Scarlett Johansson moving to Antarctica and starting a peach farm in a homemade bio-dome and asked for donations to keep the power on so they don't die, people may not believe it is fake ... I've watched stranger shows :p
This would have the real possibility of watering down their brand/image.

Taken a step further the "famous or influential" could be rendered unneeded, no pun intended, if they refused to appear in a movie and are simply CGI/AI inserted, appearance and voice included.

Oct 12, 2023
The reason the "famous or influential" are doing this is their voice/appearance/likeness is how they make their money.
If Youtube was suddenly flooded with AI videos of Jeff Geerling and Scarlett Johansson moving to Antarctica and starting a peach farm in a homemade bio-dome and asked for donations to keep the power on so they don't die, people may not believe it is fake ... I've watched stranger shows :p
This would have the real possibility of watering down their brand/image.

Taken a step further the "famous or influential" could be rendered unneeded, no pun intended, if they refused to appear in a movie and are simply CGI/AI inserted, appearance and voice included.
Anytime that an AI voice is used in a commercial/movie/song that sounds like its impersonating a celebrity/politician/sports figure ect. A voice over should have to come in with a warning that the following voice is AI generated blah blah blah before actually using said voice... that may stop the shenanigans.... also, a visual warning should appear on screen while said voice clone is speaking.

Reactions: iLoveThe80s