Question AIB card worth the money?

zmihlrad

Reputable
Nov 20, 2018
With the 7900XTX release a week away, is there any reason NOT to buy the reference model, aside from waiting for real benchmarks etc?

strictly asking AIB vs reference, for someone who isn’t over clocking or anything crazy.

ASUS released numbers today and their card will be 2.6% boosted from the reference model and 4.1% boosted in OC’ed mode. Cant imagine that % is worth $100-200 more, in my position?

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I don't know where AMD's Reference falls in compared to some of the partner models, but for Nvidia currently:
Nvidia Reference: is the bare minimum allowed on board design and components. Seen in the lowest tier of AIB models, and sometimes in middle tiers(!).
Founder's Edition: The board design and component selection is superior to NV Reference, and thus, some AIB models.
AIB premium: these product lines SHOULD have the best boards and the highest factory overclocks applied, but that latter one doesn't amount to much, since the dynamic boost does the majority of the overclocking anyway. Keeping the temperature down and power below the board limit will yield the highest average performance.

Is there any reason NOT to buy the reference model, aside from waiting for real benchmarks etc?
ASUS released numbers today and their card will be 2.6% boosted from the reference model and 4.1% boosted in OC’ed mode. Cant imagine that % is worth $100-200 more, in my position?
Uhh, don't want a solid black cooler?

10-20% more money for that? How about no...

unless there is some significant anomaly with the cooling solution of the reference cards or any other base card you should buy the cheapest one possible. the performance will be almost exactly the same among all 7900xtx's the difference will be looks and what you paid for the thing

zmihlrad

Reputable
Nov 20, 2018
I don't know where AMD's Reference falls in compared to some of the partner models, but for Nvidia currently:
Nvidia Reference: is the bare minimum allowed on board design and components. Seen in the lowest tier of AIB models, and sometimes in middle tiers(!).
Founder's Edition: The board design and component selection is superior to NV Reference, and thus, some AIB models.
AIB premium: these product lines SHOULD have the best boards and the highest factory overclocks applied, but that latter one doesn't amount to much, since the dynamic boost does the majority of the overclocking anyway. Keeping the temperature down and power below the board limit will yield the highest average performance.

Uhh, don't want a solid black cooler?

10-20% more money for that? How about no...
That’s what i was assuming