aim, ftp, ie stopped working

I just downloaded Ad-Aware and McAfee Virus Scan last night and got rid of
over 1000 spywares and 300 viruses. Everything is running so smoothly now.
The only problem that I'm having is that everytime I try to sign on AIM, it
closes out on me. The same happens with FTP and IE. I thought that it might
be a firewall, but I don't think it is. I tried turning it off, but it still
doesn't work. So I turned it back on. Please help me if you can. Thanks so
much!

Malke

chel wrote:

> I just downloaded Ad-Aware and McAfee Virus Scan last night and got
> rid of over 1000 spywares and 300 viruses. Everything is running so
> smoothly now. The only problem that I'm having is that everytime I try
> to sign on AIM, it closes out on me. The same happens with FTP and IE.
> I thought that it might be a firewall, but I don't think it is. I
> tried turning it off, but it still doesn't work. So I turned it back
> on. Please help me if you can. Thanks so much!

The problem is that all that malware probably damaged some network
files. If you have XP SP2:

Start>Run cmd [enter]
type
netsh winsock reset [enter]

to reset the winsock catalog to default. If you don't have SP2 yet, try
WinsockXPFix:

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers

thank you for your help, but i don't understand how to work this winsock
program. i have windows xp.

"Malke" wrote:

> chel wrote:
>
> > I just downloaded Ad-Aware and McAfee Virus Scan last night and got
> > rid of over 1000 spywares and 300 viruses. Everything is running so
> > smoothly now. The only problem that I'm having is that everytime I try
> > to sign on AIM, it closes out on me. The same happens with FTP and IE.
> > I thought that it might be a firewall, but I don't think it is. I
> > tried turning it off, but it still doesn't work. So I turned it back
> > on. Please help me if you can. Thanks so much!
>
> The problem is that all that malware probably damaged some network
> files. If you have XP SP2:
>
> Start>Run cmd [enter]
> type
> netsh winsock reset [enter]
>
> to reset the winsock catalog to default. If you don't have SP2 yet, try
> WinsockXPFix:
>
> http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4372
>
> Malke
> --
> MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"

Malke

chel wrote:

> thank you for your help, but i don't understand how to work this
> winsock program. i have windows xp.

What service pack level?

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"

i'm not sure how to find out what service pack level it is. i know i'm using
home edition though.

chel wrote:

> i'm not sure how to find out what service pack level it is.
> i know i'm using home edition though.
Hi

From Start/Run, run the following command to see what service
pack you have installed:

winver

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

thank you so much. it says: service pack 2

chel wrote:

> thank you so much. it says: service pack 2
>
> "Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" wrote:

Go to Start>Run and type

cmd [enter]

This will bring you the command prompt box (it looks like DOS). At the
prompt, type

netsh winsock reset [enter]

Follow prompts and reboot.

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"

i did exactly as you told me to, but my programs still close out on me. :( i
don't understand what's wrong. is there any other way i could get this fixed?

thanks.

"Malke" wrote:

> chel wrote:
>
> > thank you so much. it says: service pack 2
> >
> > "Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" wrote:
> >
> Go to Start>Run and type
>
> cmd [enter]
>
> This will bring you the command prompt box (it looks like DOS). At the
> prompt, type
>
> netsh winsock reset [enter]
>
> Follow prompts and reboot.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"

Malke

chel wrote:

> i did exactly as you told me to, but my programs still close out on
> me. :( i don't understand what's wrong. is there any other way i could
> get this fixed?

You had a huge amount of malware. Obviously, some system files have been
damaged. Things to try (one thing at a time, testing after each):

1. Run the System File Checker by going to Start>Run and typing

sfc /scannow [enter]

You may need your XP cd.

2. Try a Repair Install. Here are instructions how to do that:

See where you get with those tips. In any case, make sure you have
backed up all your data.

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"

thank you for all your help. i really appreciate it.
i'm not going to try to attempt that though.
i think i can learn to live without using some of these programs.
thanks again!

"Malke" wrote:

> chel wrote:
>
> > i did exactly as you told me to, but my programs still close out on
> > me. :( i don't understand what's wrong. is there any other way i could
> > get this fixed?
> >
> You had a huge amount of malware. Obviously, some system files have been
> damaged. Things to try (one thing at a time, testing after each):
>
> 1. Run the System File Checker by going to Start>Run and typing
>
> sfc /scannow [enter]
>
> You may need your XP cd.
>
> 2. Try a Repair Install. Here are instructions how to do that:
>
> See where you get with those tips. In any case, make sure you have
> backed up all your data.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"

Malke

chel wrote:

> thank you for all your help. i really appreciate it.
> i'm not going to try to attempt that though.
> i think i can learn to live without using some of these programs.
> thanks again!

I don't blame you for having had enough. Consider taking your machine to
a good local computer repair shop (not a BestBuy or CompUSA type of
store) and have them sort it out for you. Go do something fun while
they do the work.

No matter what you decide to do, best of luck. I'm sorry I couldn't
solve the problem for you.

Malke