Question Aiming to buy a laptop with decent performance.

Omer Shehzaf

Reputable
Sep 21, 2019
Hey, guys!

This is my first ever post on a forum for laptop discussion, and also my first step into the world of laptops and pcs on a more detailed level.

I know a fair bit about processors, memory, graphic cards, and whatnot, but I'm still overwhelmed by a few stats and figures. I'm looking to buy a decent laptop on a budget, and need some help from people who know their stuff!

caslon

Honorable
Apr 2, 2014
I'm in the same boat. Acer just came out with their Acer Aspire 515-43-R19L. 15" screen. Backlit keyboard and SSD storge drive, wow, what more can I say? You can upgrade both the ram memory and SSD yourself. You can ask or read the questions and answers there too. I really like it so far. $315.00 !

Omer Shehzaf

Reputable
Sep 21, 2019
fill this out

1. What is your budget?
$450-$650 (preferably on the lower end, if possible)

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
15" (but screen size isn't an issue)

3. What screen resolution do you want?
1920x1080, minimum.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Portable laptop, please.

5. How much battery life do you need?
Anything offering above 5 hours is fine with me.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
I do occasional gaming (Dying Light, Batman Arkham Asylum, Ghost Recon: Wildlands, State of Decay, Dark Souls, Witcher, etc) currently on low settings with a lot of lag, so even if it runs on low settings with a slightly decent frame rate (20-30 fps), I'm up for it.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
The main reason to get an upgrade is rendering, and software usage (such as AutoCAD, Rhino, Sketchup, Lumion, VRay) since I'm an architecture student.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
500-750 GB minimum.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
None that I'm aware of currently.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
A few years, but no need to think of longevity - I'm sure I can work it out, as long as the hardware doesn't give up on me.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
Even if none are present, it's fine. Not a concern.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
From my own experience, and the ones I've seen around myself, I'd prefer:
  • Dell.
  • HP
  • Lenovo.
  • Acer.
Unsure about the brands I dont like, not really a critique there.

13. What country do you live in?
Pakistan. (But have relatives in Canada, USA, and UAE - willing to buy the laptop and bring it over - so whichever place offers the best price, I'm up for it)

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
I'm a student currently, and I live on a tight budget already. My monthly expenses are covered in $65, and that is the maximum my parents can manage, so saving up is already a slight issue. If there's anyway I can acquire a laptop on installments, or a secondhand laptop but in a good condition, I'd like to go for it. Would really appreciate any feedback from anyone!

Omer Shehzaf

Reputable
Sep 21, 2019
I'm in the same boat. Acer just came out with their Acer Aspire 515-43-R19L. 15" screen. Backlit keyboard and SSD storge drive, wow, what more can I say? You can upgrade both the ram memory and SSD yourself. You can ask or read the questions and answers there too. I really like it so far. $315.00 !

The price really is a very appealing factor, but I'm unsure about the graphics card, and the processor.
I've never really used anything besides Nvidia, and Intel, for those matters.

If anyone can could guide me how to go about these, and what to look for, in these two things, I'd be more than happy to oblige.

Omer Shehzaf

Reputable
Sep 21, 2019
fill this out
Any update on this, please?
I'm actually relying on the people here, to help me out, otherwise I'm sitting clueless.
Any help is appreciated. :D