[SOLVED] AIO and PWM fan splitter

EJL142

Honorable
Dec 27, 2015
Good afternoon, I have what I hope is a simple question someone can answer for me. I am building a new systtem with a few leftover parts from my old system. New system will be on an Asus Strix B550-E motherboard and I am hoping to add some new RGB fans with Asiahorse FS 9002 fans. The question is I have an older Corsair H100I GTX AIO cooler that has two plugs coming off the pump. A pump power cable that is supposed to be plugged into the CPU_FAN header and a doubler that is supposed to be plugged into the two fans.

If I use the new Asia horse fans, that have a proprietary plug that goes into the included control box (PWM able) and then plug the PWM Fan from the control box to the CPU_OPT , do you think that would be ok? Or do AIO Fans run much higher then other fans and therefore would all my fans always be ramped up??

My motherboard also has an AIO_PUMP header. Can I just plug the 3 pin cord into that and then the PWM control box into CPU_FAN??

IF someone has a better way of going about doing this I would love to hear it as well. Thanks!

Last edited:
Solution
Method 1: Simple use:

3 pin to AIO_PUMP
Fans to Asia hub to CPU_FAN
Sata power to Pump block

That's it, plug and play, cpu temp controls the fans speeds.

Method 2: Corsair:

3pin to CPU_FAN
Fans to Asia Hub to Pump block
Pump block to USB2 port
Sata power to Pump block

iCue Software must be loaded and run. Fans are controlled by the software which gets its temp reading from the cpu.

First Method as outlined by CountMike and Paperdoc is the most basic system. Works just as well as any other method or design. Its literally plug and play, no real need for user input although you can specify fan curves in Bios software if you feel the need.

Second method is Corsair standard. They are of the opinion that a pump will fail before their...
Good afternoon, I have what I hope is a simple question someone can answer for me. I am building a new systtem with a few leftover parts from my old system. New system will be on an Asus Strix B550-E motherboard and I am hoping to add some new RGB fans with Asiahorse FS 9002 fans. The question is I have an older Corsair H100I GTX AIO cooler that has two plugs coming off the pump. A pump power cable that is supposed to be plugged into the CPU_FAN header and a doubler that is supposed to be plugged into the two fans.

If I use the new Asia horse fans, that have a proprietary plug that goes into the included control box (PWM able) and then plug the PWM Fan from the control box to the CPU_OPT , do you think that would be ok? Or do AIO Fans run much higher then other fans and therefore would all my fans always be ramped up??

My motherboard also has an AIO_PUMP header. Can I just plug the 3 pin cord into that and then the PWM control box into CPU_FAN??

IF someone has a better way of going about doing this I would love to hear it as well. Thanks!
Yes AIO_PUMP header for the pump is also preferable, it's most probably not adjustable for speed but that's OK. Radiator fans should go to CPU_FAN and/or CPU_OPT

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
You certainly can and should connect the PUMP 3-pin cable to your AIO_PUMP header as CountMike says, and rad fans via their box to the CPU_FAN header. The AIO_PUMP header will always run the pump at full speed, which is exactly how it is intended to operate. You should realize that this sytem of control is NOT what Corsair had planned for the H100i cooling system. Their plan was to have their own iCue software take over CPU cooling, communicating through the pump unit via a USB2 header cable, and powering and controlling the rad fans from the fan output cable from the pump unit. Doing it the way you now plan (as above) means that you should NOT have the iCue software utility running and trying to take control. Let the mobo headers do the job by themselves with this new connection plan.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Method 1: Simple use:

3 pin to AIO_PUMP
Fans to Asia hub to CPU_FAN
Sata power to Pump block

That's it, plug and play, cpu temp controls the fans speeds.

Method 2: Corsair:

3pin to CPU_FAN
Fans to Asia Hub to Pump block
Pump block to USB2 port
Sata power to Pump block

iCue Software must be loaded and run. Fans are controlled by the software which gets its temp reading from the cpu.

First Method as outlined by CountMike and Paperdoc is the most basic system. Works just as well as any other method or design. Its literally plug and play, no real need for user input although you can specify fan curves in Bios software if you feel the need.

Second method is Corsair standard. They are of the opinion that a pump will fail before their fans fail (pumps are Asetek or Coolit company, not Corsair built), so as a measure of protection in case of failure , the pump is on cpu_fan header and can/will shut down the pc if the pump fails. This isn't a bad thing, but that cpu_fan header controls the pump, not the fans. This necessitates the use of iCue (really, another Corsair product) software to control the fans speeds through the pump head. More wiring, software concerns, there are downsides to this method, but like method 1 it works just fine and is more customizable than the basic method.

Either method works, both have bonus's and drawbacks. Only decision is which way you would prefer.

Solution
Note that some people (myself included) prefer to use the less invasive Corsair LINK software instead of Corsair ICUE. I think all the bugs have finally been worked out of ICUE (it was VERY buggy when released) but I prefer the smaller footprint and quicker/easier usability of LINK.
Corsair LINK is end-of-life and no longer being updated or recommended by Corsair, although it should work fine for any product models produced before 2019.