Question Aio cooler making rattling sound

gg83

Honorable
Jul 10, 2015
I have a rattling coming from my aio cpu cooler. I opened up the case and the noise is coming from the radiator. I have determined the rattling is not a fan because I stopped both of them that surround the radiator. While running folding@home today under medium load, my cpu was maxed at 100% load and my temps reached tj.max of 115°c on one core and close on the others. Im using CoreTemp 1.16 to monitor the Temps. When the cores aren't under any load the temps remain at 32°c.

System: ibuypower
Cpu: i7.9700k
MB: ASrock Z390 phantom Gaming 4s-IB
Aio: ibuypower branded. 120mm radiator.

rounakr94

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2013
It maybe a failing pump. Rattling sound from radiator is highly unlikely unless its loose in place and fans vibrate it to make that sound.
Air bubbles inside radiator/tubing will make gurgling sound

gg83

Honorable
Jul 10, 2015
View: https://imgur.com/yyF8NEk

here is a picture showing where the noise is coming from.

It maybe a failing pump. Rattling sound from radiator is highly unlikely unless its loose in place and fans vibrate it to make that sound.
Air bubbles inside radiator/tubing will make gurgling sound
are there movable parts that could rattling within the radiator? I replaced both fans and simply unplugged them but the rattling persisted.

Sep 13, 2020
Sounds pretty loud.
Unbolt the radiator put it above the pump see if the noise goes away.

Get a long screwdriver , use it like a stethoscope. Put your ear to the handle and the tip on the radiator, then the pump . Be very very careful not to short anything . This will tell you 100 percent where the noise is from.

Reactions: rounakr94 and gg83

gg83

Honorable
Jul 10, 2015
Sounds pretty loud.
Unbolt the radiator put it above the pump see if the noise goes away.

Get a long screwdriver , use it like a stethoscope. Put your ear to the handle and the tip on the radiator, then the pump . Be very very careful not to short anything . This will tell you 100 percent where the noise is from.
The sound is definitely coming out of the radiator. I opened up case, unscrewed the radiator with both fans on either side, and removed the fans one at a time to be sure. Its so weird right?

Sep 13, 2020
The sound is definitely coming out of the radiator. I opened up case, unscrewed the radiator with both fans on either side, and removed the fans one at a time to be sure. Its so weird right?
I dont know what kind of pump is used perhaps a vein or piece of impeller roke off internally and is stuck in there. I'm not an expert in aio coolers but I've been fixing mechanical things for a long time.

Reactions: gg83

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS